Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ulrich Eckhardt <ec...@satorlaser.com> on 2005/06/07 08:12:52 UTC

different IP addresses due to moving WCs with a laptop

Hi!

Working with a WC on a laptop, we sometimes use different IP addresses to
access the same repository, depending where we are with that laptop. The
problem with this setup is that Subversion remembers how it accessed the
repository in the other network and refuses to cooperate in the new network.
Currently, we solve this by tunneling the access through localhost and
manually redirecting the tunnel depending on the network.

What I wonder is whether there is a way to tell Subversion that nothing
changed but the name/address of the repository? Or, even better, if there is
a way to setup things so that it just doesn't matter what network you're on?

open for any suggestion

Uli

Re: different IP addresses due to moving WCs with a laptop

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Working with a WC on a laptop, we sometimes use different IP addresses to
> access the same repository, depending where we are with that laptop. The
> problem with this setup is that Subversion remembers how it accessed the
> repository in the other network and refuses to cooperate in the new
> network.
> Currently, we solve this by tunneling the access through localhost and
> manually redirecting the tunnel depending on the network.
>
> What I wonder is whether there is a way to tell Subversion that nothing
> changed but the name/address of the repository?

svn switch --relocate

> Or, even better, if there is
> a way to setup things so that it just doesn't matter what network you're
> on?

Get a dynamic IP address?

Or, have some program tweak your hosts file depending on which network you
are on?

Max.

Re: different IP addresses due to moving WCs with a laptop

Posted by Martin Tomes <li...@tomes.org>.
Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:
> What I wonder is whether there is a way to tell Subversion that
> nothing changed but the name/address of the repository?

svn switch --relocate URL

> Or, even better, if there is a way to setup things so that it just
> doesn't matter what network you're on?

Use a proxy which is visible to both networks so that the URL doesn't
change.

Or set up the DNS so a different IP address is reported for the same
name on each network.

This is a network issue rather than a Subversion one.  We use a proxy
which can be accessed internally and on our VPN.

--
Martin Tomes
echo 'martin at tomes x org x uk'\

The Subversion Wiki is at http://www.subversionary.org/