Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by CK <cl...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/10 10:21:05 UTC

Cloud Usage and API

Can someone please provide further information on what the API call:
generateUsageRecords actually does?

I know it generates usage records, but:

1. Does the Usage Server service call the generateUsageRecords API when it
runs at the scheduled time(=usage.stats.job.exec.time) or does the service
do more than that?

2. Does the generateUsageRecords API execute the Usage Server service on
demand to generate the usage records?

3. For what period does it generate the usage records eg.
i. from the last time this API function was called
ii. from the last time the usage server ran

4. If I create a VM and the corresponding ACS events are created in the
Cloud DB, if I then run generateUsageRecords soon after will the usage
records be generated for up to that point?

5. Are there any other documented details available on this API command
other than the API document?

Re: Cloud Usage and API

Posted by Jessica Tomechak <je...@gmail.com>.
On query #5 : there is a section called "Working With Usage" in the
Developer's Guide and another similarly named section in the
Administrator's Guide. These contain details relevant for the audience of
each guide. Why not see whether this contains the information you need. If
not, it's always possible to file a Doc enhancement bug!

http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.1.0/html-single/Developers_Guide/index.html#working-with-usage-data

http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.1.0/html-single/Admin_Guide/index.html#work-with-usage

Jessica T.

Re: Cloud Usage and API