Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Sanjeev Kulkarni <sa...@locomatix.com> on 2011/09/23 22:40:34 UTC

Increasing thrift_framed_transport_size_in_mb

Hey guys,
Are there any side-effects of increasing
the thrift_framed_transport_size_in_mb and thrift_max_message_length_in_mb
variables from their default values to something like 100mb?
Thanks!

Re: Increasing thrift_framed_transport_size_in_mb

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
Some discussion of large data here http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/LargeDataSetConsiderations

When creating large rows you also need to be aware of in_memory_compaction_limit_in_mb (see the yaml) and that all columns for a row are stored on the same node. So if you store one file in a one row you may not get the best load distribution.

I've heard mention before that 10MB is a reasonable max for a row if you have no natural partitions.

That said CFS in Brisk put each block on a row, and used columns for the sub blocks. And the default settings for HFS are

 <!-- 64 MB default -->
<property>
  <name>fs.local.block.size</name>
  <value>67108864</value>