Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Mike Haberman <mi...@ncsa.uiuc.edu> on 2001/07/20 05:22:34 UTC

set/getTargetLayout in RunData

  I would like to add [sg]etTargetLayout() to RunData.

  1. In order to get the template that starts the whole shebang,
     there is a line in the ClassicPipeLine that does this:
     String layoutTemplate = Resolver.getTemplate("layouts", target);
     where target is the screen target.

     Unfortunately, this relies on the fact that getTemplate will
     return "layouts" + Default.vm if target is not found under "layouts".
     But it won't work if target is found under "layouts" and it's
     not obvious.

     layoutTemplate = Resolver.getTemplate("layouts", data.getTargetLayout());
     makes more sense.

  2.  I think we agreed that it's a good thing to be able to dynamically
      set the layout in actions or screens.

   I have all the patches needed to do this.  So I can commit it.

   mike

Re: set/getTargetLayout in RunData

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org>.
On 7/19/01 11:22 PM, "Mike Haberman" <mi...@ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> I would like to add [sg]etTargetLayout() to RunData.

  Nope. You're missing the whole point of the system. A layout
  template is a 2.1 ism. Nothing specific to the pipeline, in
  this case the ClassicPipeline that emulates 2.1, should have
  any analog in rundata. A layout template in the ClassicPipeline
  is a sibling template, but I removed everything specific to
  the page/layout/nav/screen notion in RunData for a reason.

> 1. In order to get the template that starts the whole shebang,
>    there is a line in the ClassicPipeLine that does this:
>    String layoutTemplate = Resolver.getTemplate("layouts", target);
>    where target is the screen target.
>
>    Unfortunately, this relies on the fact that getTemplate will
>    return "layouts" + Default.vm if target is not found under "layouts".
>    But it won't work if target is found under "layouts" and it's
>    not obvious.

     Huh?

>    layoutTemplate = Resolver.getTemplate("layouts", data.getTargetLayout());
>    makes more sense.

     No, I don't think you understand what's going on.

> 2.  I think we agreed that it's a good thing to be able to dynamically
>     set the layout in actions or screens.

      It may be desirable to control how sibling templates are set,
      but there is no notion of a layout template per se anymore.

>  I have all the patches needed to do this.  So I can commit it.

   No.

   -1

>  mike

jvz.