Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de> on 2002/01/03 18:30:00 UTC

document structure

Hi Team, Stefano,
AFAIK we planed to re-organize our document structure,
or is this a part of the current re-desing of xml-apache
homepage?

  Gerhard

PS: Sorry I lost a little bit the track last 2 weeks!

Re: document structure

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Gerhard Froehlich wrote:

> >I'm sure this makes everybody happier than my previous proposal about
> >/cocoon and /cocoon/old, including me this time.
> >
> >Also, it would be *very* helpful for the Forrest effort to come up with
> >a ToC that is fully detailed but also indicates the parts that can
> >normally be reused across different subprojects. That would give me a
> >way to fix the similarities into DTDs and layout structure.
>
> How do you want it. As a XML document like the existing book.xml or a
> text document describing the new structure?

text document! is for human reading and should be exchanged here a lot
so keep it simple. we'll xml-ize it at need in the future.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

RE: document structure

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

>Gerhard Froehlich wrote:
>>
>> Hi Team, Stefano,
>> AFAIK we planed to re-organize our document structure,
>> or is this a part of the current re-desing of xml-apache
>> homepage?
>
>I started approaching a new ToC for the docs, but found the current site
>design too limiting and went to fix that first. Forrest comes from the
>frustration of the 'intrinsically flat design' of the current
>xml.apache.org layout and navigation structure.

reasonable

>But at the same time, expecting Forrest to be there at one point in the
>near future (modulo my freetime) and thus having the flatness removed, I
>think it would be a good thing to go ahead and think about the ToC for
>the Cocoon docs.

Apropos flatness. I recommend not to branch out the ToC excessively.
I think 3 branches should be pretty enough.

>Moreover, I thought again about the issue of URI space and I think the
>proposed suggestion of using /cocoon1 and /cocoon2 and /cocoon pointing
>to the last generation is the best solution.
>
>In fact, Cocoon1 and Cocoon2 are not version indicators, but generation
>identifiers and they do represent a different product, thus require a
>different location.

Agree

>I'm sure this makes everybody happier than my previous proposal about
>/cocoon and /cocoon/old, including me this time.
>
>Also, it would be *very* helpful for the Forrest effort to come up with
>a ToC that is fully detailed but also indicates the parts that can
>normally be reused across different subprojects. That would give me a
>way to fix the similarities into DTDs and layout structure.

How do you want it. As a XML document like the existing book.xml or a
text document describing the new structure?
I booked in a newtoc.xml and I did something like that:
<menu label="Getting started">
  <menu label="What you should know/read">
    <menu-item label="XML references" href="" type="visible" />
    <menu-item label="Avalon" href="" type="visible" />
  </menu>
  <menu label="Basics">
    <menu-item label="Pipeline processing" href="" type="visible" />
  </menu>
  <menu-item label="Quick setup/installation" href="" type="visible" />
</menu>
to display the structure. But I don't know if the nested <menu label/>
tags will work.
Any better suggestions?

>So, Gerhard, fire at will.

Better not ;)

  Gerhard

"A man with one watch knows what time it is,
a man with two watches is never sure...
(Albert Einstein)"

Re: document structure

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Re: document structure

Posted by Mikhail Fedotov <mi...@kittown.com>.
Hi!

> My 0.02 cents inline:

I'll give my 0.02 cents also:

> >- Getting started

... and here goes brief description of section, AND link to
 one single page containing the whole section, as well as a
 group of links to those parts in separate pages.

It is really painfull to search for information in all
 those zillions of pages when it is possible to make one
 with a nice index at the top, that's why I'm writing this.

Of course, there are cases where lesser pages are useful,
 but for me in most cases it is much easier to use one
 single document, even if site provides nice seach
 capability and reasonable structure of documentation.

> >  - What you should know/read

And maybe it is a good idea to provide such a page for
 every level of hierarchy, except some higher levels where
 it becomes too big and require simpler html/txt formatting
 to keep size reasonable. But I don't think that current
 HTML docs of cocoon won't fit in a meg or to, excluding
 pictures and javadoc.

> >    - XML references
> >    - Avalon
> >  - Basics
> >    - Pipeline processing
> >  - Quick setup/installation
>
> - In Detail (naming not fix)
>  - Sitemap
>    - Actions
>    - ...
>  - Components
>    - Pipelines
>    - ...
>
> - Developer Corner
>   - API
>   - Extending
>   - ...
>
> >- Some Samples
> >  - Hello World XML sample
> >    - the Content
> >    - the Stylesheet
> >    - the Sitemap
> >  - Hello Worl XSP sample
> >  - Aggregation
> >  - More Advanced samples
> >- Configurations
> >  - web.xml
> >  - cocoon.xconf
> >  - logkit.xconf
> >- Tuning
> >  - Component pools
> >  - Cache
> >  - Pipeline tuning
> >- Installation references
>
>   Gerhard

Mikhail

RE: document structure

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Gerhard Froehlich wrote:

> Hi,
>
> From: giacomo [mailto:giacomo@apache.org]
> >
> >On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Gerhard Froehlich wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Team, Stefano,
> >> AFAIK we planed to re-organize our document structure,
> >> or is this a part of the current re-desing of xml-apache
> >> homepage?
> >
> >I think we can make it indepenantly (the structure). We can fix the
> >design later when Forrest is in a state to jump on the train :)
>
> Just looked at the 1.5 design proposal: >kool<!
>
> >It would be cool we had a ToC we all agree upon (well, I have no clear
> >idea about it).
>
> Me too. But somebody has to start.
> My 0.02 cents inline:
>

> >- Getting started
> >  - What you should know/read
> >    - XML references
> >    - Avalon
> >  - Basics
> >    - Pipeline processing
> >  - Quick setup/installation
>
> - In Detail (naming not fix)
>  - Sitemap
>    - Actions
>    - ...
>  - Components
>    - Pipelines
>    - ...
>
> - Developer Corner
>   - API
>   - Extending
>   - ...
>
> >- Some Samples
> >  - Hello World XML sample
> >    - the Content
> >    - the Stylesheet
> >    - the Sitemap
> >  - Hello Worl XSP sample
> >  - Aggregation
> >  - More Advanced samples
> >- Configurations
> >  - web.xml
> >  - cocoon.xconf
> >  - logkit.xconf
> >- Tuning
> >  - Component pools
> >  - Cache
> >  - Pipeline tuning
> >- Installation references

I personally would have at least the simple hello world sample
before the "In Deatil" part.

Giacomo

RE: document structure

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

From: giacomo [mailto:giacomo@apache.org]

>On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Gerhard Froehlich wrote:
>
>> Hi Team, Stefano,
>> AFAIK we planed to re-organize our document structure,
>> or is this a part of the current re-desing of xml-apache
>> homepage?
>
>I think we can make it indepenantly (the structure). We can fix the
>design later when Forrest is in a state to jump on the train :)

Just looked at the 1.5 design proposal: >kool<!

>It would be cool we had a ToC we all agree upon (well, I have no clear
>idea about it).

Me too. But somebody has to start.
My 0.02 cents inline:

>- Getting started
>  - What you should know/read
>    - XML references
>    - Avalon
>  - Basics
>    - Pipeline processing
>  - Quick setup/installation

- In Detail (naming not fix)
 - Sitemap
   - Actions
   - ...
 - Components
   - Pipelines
   - ...

- Developer Corner
  - API
  - Extending
  - ...

>- Some Samples
>  - Hello World XML sample
>    - the Content
>    - the Stylesheet
>    - the Sitemap
>  - Hello Worl XSP sample
>  - Aggregation
>  - More Advanced samples
>- Configurations
>  - web.xml
>  - cocoon.xconf
>  - logkit.xconf
>- Tuning
>  - Component pools
>  - Cache
>  - Pipeline tuning
>- Installation references

  Gerhard

"When I die, I want to go just like my Grandfather,
in my sleep.
Not like the screaming passengers in the car
he was driving."
(Ancient Chinese Proverb)

Re: document structure

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Gerhard Froehlich wrote:

> Hi Team, Stefano,
> AFAIK we planed to re-organize our document structure,
> or is this a part of the current re-desing of xml-apache
> homepage?

I think we can make it indepenantly (the structure). We can fix the
design later when Forrest is in a state to jump on the train :)

It would be cool we had a ToC we all agree upon (well, I have no clear
idea about it).

- Getting started
  - What you should know/read
    - XML references