Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com> on 2006/08/16 20:10:40 UTC

Branching Noob Question

This is particularly remedial, I know (I almost hate to ask the
question), but I can't quite understand what I'm doing wrong.  I'm
trying to create a branch from the trunk and, after the branch is
complete, the branch includes the trunk directory.  Using this command

svn cp -m "Creating a 3.5.5 maintenance branch"
http://example.com/repos/myrepos/trunk/
http://example.com/repos/myrepos/branches/maint/3.5.5/

I end up with the following:

example.com/branches/maint/currentversion/trunk

What I want, of course, is for the /trunk level to go away and its
contents to live directly beneath the /currentversion directory.  I'm
new to Subversion (obviously), but I've done this before with the
expected results.  I guess I just got lucky, though, because I have no
idea what I did differently.

Thanks for your help.

--

Rob Wilkerson

Re: Branching Noob Question

Posted by Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com>.
For anyone that's interested, the problem was that the 3.5.5 directory
existed (althought it was empty) before the branch.  I didn't realize
that the last directory of the destination URL had to be created.  I'm
not sure why that is, but once I removed that directory and branched
again I got the results I wanted.

--

Rob Wilkerson

Re: Branching Noob Question

Posted by Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com>.
That was part of the problem.  /branches/maint/ *did* already exist,
but so did /3.5.5/.  The latter was the problem.  Once I deleted that
and re-branched I got exactly what I wanted.

Thanks to all.

On 8/16/06, Chris.Fouts@qimonda.com <Ch...@qimonda.com> wrote:
> I had this problem. I believe the ../branches/maint/
> dirs must already exist to do what you want to do.
>
> svn mkdir http://example.com/repos/myrepos/branches/maint
> svn commit (???)
> svn cp -m "blah blah"
> http://example.com/repos/myrepos/trunk/
> http://example.com/repos/myrepos/branches/maint/3.5.5
>
> -chris

Rob Wilkerson

Re: Branching Noob Question

Posted by Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com>.
Doh!  You're absolutely right.  I spend half of my day in Linux so I
should have known better.  I just didn't think of it that way.  When I
imported my initial structure I imported every structural element that
I knew I was going to want to populate - even if it was empty.

The upside (such as it is) to asking really, really dumb questions:
you never have to ask them again.  They embarrassment lingers.  :-)

--

Rob Wilkerson

Re: Branching Noob Question

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Aug 16, 2006, at 22:43, Chris Fouts wrote:

>> This is particularly remedial, I know (I almost hate to ask
>> the question), but I can't quite understand what I'm doing
>> wrong.  I'm trying to create a branch from the trunk and,
>> after the branch is complete, the branch includes the trunk
>> directory.  Using this command
>>
>> svn cp -m "Creating a 3.5.5 maintenance branch"
>> http://example.com/repos/myrepos/trunk/
>> http://example.com/repos/myrepos/branches/maint/3.5.5/
>>
>> I end up with the following:
>>
>> example.com/branches/maint/currentversion/trunk
>>
>> What I want, of course, is for the /trunk level to go away and
>> its contents to live directly beneath the /currentversion
>> directory.  I'm new to Subversion (obviously), but I've done
>> this before with the expected results.  I guess I just got
>> lucky, though, because I have no idea what I did differently.
>
> I had this problem. I believe the ../branches/maint/
> dirs must already exist to do what you want to do.
>
> svn mkdir http://example.com/repos/myrepos/branches/maint
> svn commit (???)
> svn cp -m "blah blah"
> http://example.com/repos/myrepos/trunk/
> http://example.com/repos/myrepos/branches/maint/3.5.5

Yes, and the 3.5.5 directory must NOT already exist, or else you get
the behavior you observed. This is just like the Unix cp command, FYI.

RE: Branching Noob Question

Posted by Ch...@qimonda.com.

RE: Branching Noob Question

Posted by Erik Hemdal <er...@comprehensivepower.com>.
> From: Rob Wilkerson [mailto:r.d.wilkerson@gmail.com]
>
> This is particularly remedial, I know (I almost hate to ask
> the question), but I can't quite understand what I'm doing
> wrong.  I'm trying to create a branch from the trunk and,
> after the branch is complete, the branch includes the trunk
> directory.  Using this command
>
> svn cp -m "Creating a 3.5.5 maintenance branch"
> http://example.com/repos/myrepos/trunk/
> http://example.com/repos/myrepos/branches/maint/3.5.5/
>
> I end up with the following:
>
> example.com/branches/maint/currentversion/trunk
>
> What I want, of course, is for the /trunk level to go away
> and its contents to live directly beneath the /currentversion
> directory.  I'm new to Subversion (obviously), but I've done
> this before with the expected results.  I guess I just got
> lucky, though, because I have no idea what I did differently.
>
> Thanks for your help.

Here's another one asking the same question.  I can usually get this right
if I use TortoiseSVN and really act dumb about it (TortoiseSVN > Branch/tag
usually does the Right Thing unless I have already created the branch).

But when I go about trying to deliberately make a branch, I usually mess it
up in the way Rob describes.  I've not been able to really understand the
way SVN wants me to do this.  And I would appreciate a pointer to somewhere
where a good explanation can be found.

Rob, does a question stop being dumb when two people ask it?  Let's hope so,
shall we?

Erik