Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Koji Kawamura <ij...@gmail.com> on 2018/11/02 02:27:26 UTC

Re: Status of MetricsReportingTask?

Hi Jon,

About reporting counter values, there is an existing JIRA for the
improvement idea to expose counters to Reporting task context. That
requires NiFi framework level improvements. I'd suggest taking a look
on it, and resuming discussion there if needed.

Although MetricsReportingTask currently only supports Graphite, the
component is well designed for generic reporting use-cases. I don't
think it is a legacy component. The underlying dropwizard metrics
project seems active, too.
https://github.com/dropwizard/metrics

I'm interested in what service implementation you're going to write.
Is it going to use one of already available reporters?
https://metrics.dropwizard.io/3.1.0/manual/third-party/

Thanks,
Koji

Posted by Omer Hadari <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jon. Just wanted to say that I have developed this ReportingTask since
we had a similar issue to yours, only we had to report metrics to graphite.
We are currently using it in production.
I tried to implement as generic design as possible, so reporting to other
endpoints (e.g. cloudwatch) should be easy enough.
I performed a quick google search about dropwizard-metrics cloudwatch
reporter implementation. Found many small projects, such as this one:
https://github.com/azagniotov/codahale-aggregated-metrics-cloudwatch-reporter.
It might fit your needs or you can at least take a look at it.

When I designed this I only had system and process group metrics in mind. I
was trying to be generic with the endpoints, so I used dropwizard-metrics
but I admit I haven't thought about allowing custom tasks to report custom
metrics. It shouldn't be too hard to implement even now, so let me know if
you need this option and I will try getting to submitting a contribution.
Feel free to let me know if you have any questions regarding this reporting
task.

Posted by Bryan Bende <bb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jon Logan <jm...@buffalo.edu>.