Posted to dev@pig.apache.org by Prashant Kommireddi <pr...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/23 19:50:31 UTC

Upgrading antlr to 3.5

Hey guys,

Anyone aware of any issues with upgrading antlr to v3.5 for Pig? I am
planning to try it out, and wanted to make sure it's not already been tried.

Thanks,
Prashant

Re: Upgrading antlr to 3.5

Posted by Ashutosh Chauhan <ha...@apache.org>.
Hive had lot of trouble while upgrading antlr last time. See
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-2439 &
Not to say you will encounter these difficulties in next upgrade too but
given the fact that antlr is not very particular about backward & forward
compatibility and Hive uses antlr in pretty grueling way, I will be pretty
cautious with upgrade.

My two cents.
Ashutosh

Re: Upgrading antlr to 3.5

Posted by Daniel Dai <da...@hortonworks.com>.

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 7:43 PM, Prashant Kommireddi <pr...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> The reasons are more internal. Our app is having an issue with 3.4 and it's
> easier for us to move forward to 3.5
>
> http://antlr.markmail.org/search/?q=%22void+%3D+null%3B%22#query:%22void%20%3D%20null%3B%22%20order%3Adate-backward+page:1+mid:7g3th2bg3onyoqhv+state:results
>
> Is it difficult to upgrade the version across the board (hive + pig)?
>

> On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Daniel Dai <da...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> > Any reason why you want to upgrade to 3.5? We'd like Hive/Pig use the
> same
> > version of antrl, which ease the integration work of Hive/Pig/HCat.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Daniel
> >

> > On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 5:50 PM, Prashant Kommireddi <
> prash1784@gmail.com
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > Hey guys,
> > >
> > > Anyone aware of any issues with upgrading antlr to v3.5 for Pig? I am
> > > planning to try it out, and wanted to make sure it's not already been
> > > tried.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Prashant
> > >

> > --