Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Jean-Pierre Fortune <je...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/21 14:25:45 UTC

Launching Felix as a daemon under Linux

Hi,
What is the most elegant way to have Felix launched as a daemon when Linux
starts up?
Thanks in advance.
--
Jean-Pierre

Re: Launching Felix as a daemon under Linux

Posted by Jean-Cédric Desrochers <je...@imetrik.com>.
Two years ago I used an open-source project called Java Service Wrapper
to register a Java program with the OS
(http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org/doc/english/introduction.html). It
provides the necessary librairies for Linux integration. The only thing
you need afterward is to register your application with Linux so it is
executed at startup based on the kernel's run level. The command vary
based on the flavor of your OS, but for us it was 'chkconfig'.

J-C

**

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
The installers sub-project in our trunk has some support for daemons,
but we haven't been able to concentrate on polishing them enough to make
them our official release. We are hoping to do this at some point in the
near future.

If someone knows how to work with the installer and wants to contribute
some time, we should be able to get some official fancy installer
releases in short order.

-> richard