Posted to dev@isis.apache.org by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk> on 2013/10/07 09:24:02 UTC

Now that GSOC2013 is over...

Hi Dimuthu and Bhargav,

First, just to say congratulations to you both on successfully completing
GSOC this year; I hope you enjoyed doing the work and learnt some new
stuff, with the added bonus of getting paid by Google!

You might have seen that Google's open source blog contains posted a short
piece [1] that the ASF provided about several of its GSOC projects.  I
contributed a couple of paragraphs about your projects, so your successful
involvement on GSOC 2013 is now on public record!

As I said in that post, I believe that you are both keen to continue
developing your respective viewers.  What I would therefore like to do is
to copy over the code from your github repos (as a mega-patch in each case)
into the Isis codebase... you have both lodged ICLAs with the ASF secretary
so I don't think there's any further paperwork required.

In order for you to continue developing the viewers it would mean, in the
short-term, that you would need to raise tickets and provide patches.
 Later, though - once there's enough evidence to the community of ongoing
involvement - I would put a vote forward for you to become committers so
you can continue to develop them directly.

Of course, with your projects as part of Isis codebase, there's the chance
that others may want to take your work and develop it further; that's to be
expected, of course.

Let me know if you have any objections to the above, otherwise I'll copy
the code over later this week/early next.

Cheers
Dan

PS: I must also say thanks to Maurizio for co-mentoring Dimuthu and
Bhargav; your in-depth technical expertise of Android/Javascript was
invaluable!

[1]
http://google-opensource.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/google-summer-of-code-veteran-orgs.html

Re: Now that GSOC2013 is over...

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
On 7 October 2013 21:09, Bhargav Golla <bh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Regarding code transfer, I am still working on Maven build and haven't
> been able to make good progress. Would it be okay even if there's no maven
> build for now?
>
> Yeah, I'll take whatever's there.  Perhaps Maurizio might find time to
assist on this?

I intend to copy over the files on Thursday eve.

Cheers
Dan

Re: Now that GSOC2013 is over...

Posted by Bhargav Golla <bh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dan

Thanks for the wishes. We couldn't have made it through to this stage
without your active support during the entire course of GSoC and not to
forget Maurizio's and Jeroen's timely help whenever I went clueless.

Re: Now that GSOC2013 is over...

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
On 7 October 2013 18:34, DImuthu Upeksha <di...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My project is already converted in to a maven project so I think it is
> safe to merge with ISIS code base. And I'm agree with you about the terms
> you have mentioned about committing rights. I need to write some more test
> cases first to make sure my current work is covered and continue with
> further addition of features to the app. So hope to work on that as soon as
> my exams are finished.

OK; fyi I intend to copy over the files on Thursday eve.

Cheers
Dan

Re: Now that GSOC2013 is over...

Posted by DImuthu Upeksha <di...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dan
 First of all I should be thankful to both of you (Dan and Maurizio) for
giving me a tremendous support through out the gsoc period and I hope you
two will be helping me to my future implementations of android client. And
I'm really happy to finish my work as I expected. Dan, I'm really thankful
to you again about that blog post. It a real gift.

My project is already converted in to a maven project so I think it is safe
to merge with ISIS code base. And I'm agree with you about the terms you
have mentioned about committing rights. I need to write some more test
cases first to make sure my current work is covered and continue with
further addition of features to the app. So hope to work on that as soon as
my exams are finished.

Thanx
Dimuthu

--