Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org> on 2008/09/17 00:49:04 UTC

Incubator Maven repo [WAS Re: [VOTE] [POLICY] Allow extra release distribution channels like the central Maven repository]

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 2:10 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
<wr...@rowe-clan.net>wrote:

> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> -1 too, for the same reasons.
>>>

>> -1.  Craig pointed out my objections as well.  -- justin
>>

> Just so everyone understands this in context, the objection above is moot
> because...
>
> ...maven is a package deployment mechanism

Beg your pardon? I know that the homepage casts a wide net ("Maven is a
software project management and comprehension tool.") but in my book Maven
is used to build stuff (which happens to be almost exclusively Java). I
don't know of anybody who goes to actual users and tell them "here you go,
unzip that stuff there, set your JAVA_HOME and your MAVEN_HOME properly,
execute 'mvn install' and once all test cases pass you're golden".

Maven is a build tool. Users don't build, developers do. And developers
should know about licenses and disclaimers.

Cheers,
Matthieu

Re: Incubator Maven repo [WAS Re: [VOTE] [POLICY] Allow extra release distribution channels like the central Maven repository]

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Guess, you don't get the role of the incubator at all. ah well.

Also, no one here made the argument that the disclaimer is a license
or something for legal protection. So the arguments are moot.

thanks,
-- dims

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
Just to clarify things, the artefact published on the apache maven
repository are signed (well, to be exact, most are signed.  See [1]
for the current status)

However, maven doesn't [yet] validate the signature when downloading
the artefacts (ivy neither).  See [2]

[1] http://people.apache.org/~henkp/repo/
[2] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2477

2008/9/17 Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com>:
> Dan,
>
> It is a policy matter, not a legal one.  And enforcing artifact signing
> would address this and other crucial, fatal, flaws in Maven's repository
> management.
>
> I still maintain that unless Maven makes swift strides to enforce signing,
> the ASF should ban the use of the Maven repository for all ASF projects, and
> go so far as to remove all of our artifacts.
>
>        --- Noel

Gilles Scokart

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Hi Noel,

If the problem your trying to solve with artifact signing is detect
and reject malicious artifacts that have been deployed to hacked
repository, then there is a simpler fix that is available today.  Just
use the checksum plugin that I described here:

http://hiramchirino.com/blog/2008/08/new-checksum-plugin.html

Basically the plugin helps you maintain a checksum database of all
dependencies needed in the build which is part of the project source
code.  It will validate that all downloaded dependencies match their
checksums before running the build.  This way you can feel safe that
all those random artifacts downloaded by maven are the actual
artifacts that the project intended you to use.

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> Dan,
>
> It is a policy matter, not a legal one.  And enforcing artifact signing
> would address this and other crucial, fatal, flaws in Maven's repository
> management.
>
> I still maintain that unless Maven makes swift strides to enforce signing,
> the ASF should ban the use of the Maven repository for all ASF projects, and
> go so far as to remove all of our artifacts.
>
>        --- Noel

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 18 September 2008 1:14:53 pm Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> > "but they cannot require third parties to not sync it into their
> > repos." --> Is this something Maven PMC is
> > thinking-about/voted-on/discussing? basically overriding the current
> > un-written policy of the incubator? Please let us know.
>
> Not yet.   But my point is if Maven was NOT an Apache project, what COULD
> we
> do?

Just not build a repo at all? They could download and publish each of our
releases and there's nothing wrong about it. It's just about what kind of
practices *we* want to promote or discourage. It's just a judgment call,
which is why I guess the issue is so disputed. Some people don't care which
dependency they end up using, where it comes from, what its quality or
license are. Why not make the life of those lucky people easy? Some others
are very finicky about it, caring about licenses, restrictions, maturity,
etc... and would probably not use a tool like Maven in the first place as it
wouldn't allow enough control.

So where should we stand? First we should allow the whole gamut of
practices, which we do. On one side we're very vigilant about our releases,
on the other side our license is extremely liberal for redistributors. So
from the start we make either ways possible. Then I happen to think that the
distribution channels for *our* (IPMC) projects should be fairly
conservative simply because we aim at being at least good open source
citizens and I don't see the undocumented distribution of binaries as being
part of that. Which I guess marks me finicky :)

Matthieu

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
Conversely and more defendable, we could decide that anything with a
transitive dependency hull that is not completely contained by central
cannot be hosted in central. This is yet another approach to nuking the
issue. The unfortunate side-effect would be to exclude all apache (and
other) artifacts that happen to depend on sun, incubator etc.

It's nearly pointless and quite frustrating to the users to host
something in central that can't be used without a bunch of manual work
arounds. That means we either attempt to include these transitive
dependencies, or we simply don't allow anything that uses them.

release distribution channels like the central Maven repository]

point taken.

-- dims

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
point taken.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
> [...]

> > be full of crap? (and can they trust that the stuff in that repo has a
> > license compatible with putting it in central?)
> >
> > One example of that NOT being the case is the java.net repo.   Sun is
> > notoriously bad at putting crap in the repo.   Thus, the Maven folks do
> > not sync that repo in anymore.   They tried at one point, but it caused
> > too many issues.  So they don't now.
> >
> > That's basically why I think the vote is relatively irrelevant.  I voted
> > +1 cause I personally think the "policy" is bad for the incubator and
> > makes it harder for podlings to develop their communities and thus
> > graduate, but I also think the "policy" is completely irrelevant as it's
> > not enforceable by the Incubator PMC.   The Incubator PMC CAN require the
> > podlings to keep their releases in a separate repo on people.apache.org,
> > but they cannot require third parties to not sync it into their repos.

Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 20:14 -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 06:57 -0400, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> >> I voted +1, but I personally think the vote is kind of irrelevant.....
> >
> >> Thus:
> >> If the central maven repository maintainers (Maven PMC) decide to put
> >> incubator artifacts into their repository without a click through "this is
> >> incubator code" disclaimer, we'd have no legal reason to say no.   The Apache
> >> License allows them to do so.
> >
> > The Incubator PMC controls the policy on how podlings release. Not the
> > upstream policy. And this policy says: "You keep your releases separated
> > from the official releases". Allowing the usage of a maven repo for
> > publishing these is a privilege, not a right.
>
> That information is stale;
>
> http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/{podling}/
> http://www.apache.org/dist/{tlp}/{subproject}/
>
> There was earlier confusion in the life of the Incubator that an incubating
> release is not an ASF release.  This misunderstanding has been corrected

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases

"Podlings are not yet fully accepted as part of the Apache Software
Foundation. No release made by a Podling will be endorsed by the ASF.
Unendorsed releases may be made by Podlings subject to the following
policy."

Maybe you should do some reading... :-)

	Best regards
		Henning

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 11:41 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
<wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Since the hash is not security, it's not terribly important, eh?

Hashes are a perfect tool for verifying message integrity. They won't
prove origin like signatures do, but verifiable integrity is hardly
*not* security.

Verifying integrity is what Hiram is trying to achieve with his
plugin. I.e. ensuring that the dependencies on the repository (or in
transit from the repository to the user) haven't been tampered with.

You have a valid concern about how the the upstream developer can
trust his dependencies. Hiram has a valid solution to the security of
the downstream user who builds a source release (with Maven
dependencies) from the upstream developer that he trusts.

PS. Should we take this somewhere else than general@incubator. It's
hardly on topic here.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Hiram Chirino wrote:

> Agreed.  I never argued against this.  But I fail to see the point?
> Are you saying initial trust is hard to secure?  I totally agree on
> that point.  You have any solutions?

Yes.  You sign your package locally, never on the remote system.  The ASF
hardware must never have your gpg signing key.  And nobody trusts that
package without observing a valid gpg signature, especially not software
that is "blindly" installed (e.g. maven, other automated installers).

The security hole we perceive is that ASF packages are blindly created
using maven, relying on the fact that no machine that had touched that
dependent artifact or transmitting it had been compromised.

If the key is compromised, it's your job to revoke it.  But there's a long
discussion about revocation trust, let's not go there.

>> If it were cracked again, MD5 signatures would not be trusted, and all of
>> those resources would be wiped if there were no gpg keys available to
>> validate the packages.
>
> Are you saying even the source code/svn would be wiped?  If that's the
> case we would have a real tragedy on our hands.  I hope we kept good
> backups.

Yes; and we have backups.  We even have a mirror to retrace precisely what
commits happened after the breach, and determine if we want to reapply them
(presuming for a moment that the mirror could not be compromised).

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Trust me I'm not trying to be difficult..

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 3:07 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18/09/2008, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 10:59 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  > On 18/09/2008, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
>>  >> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 9:42 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
>>  >>
>>  >> <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>>  >>
>>  >> > Similarly, the issue of signature validation is a significant flaw which
>>  >>  > I also hope maven addresses even more promptly, and which they are aware
>>  >>  > of.  The alternatives are to take down maven until it is secure, or to
>>  >>  > continue to populate maven with various released artifacts.  And this too
>>  >>  > isn't germane to the question above, which is;
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >> The signature validation issue has a simple fix which I have already
>>  >>  mentioned earlier.  I'm not sure why folks continue to think it's
>>  >>  still a problem.  All the projects need to do is enable a checksum
>>  >>  validation plugin, and at least that problem is resolved.
>>  >>
>>  >
>>  > Not sure I agree that the checksum plugin solves the problem.
>>  >
>>  > As far as I can tell, all that the plugin does is to detect any
>>  > changes to dependencies that occur *after the checksum list is
>>  > initially generated*
>>

>> Agreed.
>>

>>  >
>>  > Unless I'm mistaken, it does not guard against the orignal dependency
>>  > already being corrupt, nor does it protect the product itself.
>>  >

>> So the responsibility is still on us, the upstream distributor, to
>>  verify the the checksums we list in our source distro are correct.
>
> And how do we do that?
> We cannot use the Maven repo as it has already been compromised.

If you are a totally paranoid, you would build all the dependencies
your self and use those checksums.  :)  Since that's not practical,
you have to trust that an artifact on a maven repo has not been
hacked.. or even validate it has not been hacked (perhaps the project
provides a separate website with the checksums of the artifacts).

But even if you get it wrong, it's not the end of the world..  The
important thing is being able to detect and correct the problem.

>>  But at least by doing this, down stream users of our source distros
>>  can rest assured that the dependencies that they are using are the
>>  correct ones.
>
> Only if our distro has not had its checksum list hacked.

The checksums are part of the source distro.  If the source distro you
downloaded is hacked.. hey hack the checksum list.. the hacker might
as well put the malicious code in the source code.

>>  If a committer by mistake adds an invalid checksum for an artifact
>>  that he been hacked in his repo, hopefully, another developer doing
>>  the build will notice that the build fails due to checksum error if he
>>  has the valid artifact.  At that point they can investigate who has
>>  the valid copy of the artifact.  The more users that are building the
>>  software with the checksum validation, the better of chance you got at
>>  some one noticing a hacked repo artifact.
>
> Depends on when the hacked version was uploaded.
> It's quite possible that every ASF use of the module will be after the
> original hack.

Possible.. But I'm talking about a wider audience than the ASF.  I
hope if the ASF adopts this policy of using the checksum plugin, the
maven folks adopt it as a standard practice.  And then we have every
other maven user out there helping detect repository attacks.

>>  If by chance all repos being used only have the hacked version of the
>>  artifact and, no one notices it hacked and we release with that.. then
>>  that would be a serious issue yes.  I think we should handle that like
>
> Which is what we should protect against from the start.

Sure.. but that starts at implementing good repository security.  That
is the start after all.

>>  we would handle any serious security flaw in our products.  Re-release
>>  with the flaw (checksum) corrected and advise all our users to
>>  upgrade.
>>
>>  On a side note.. a GPG web of trust would help in trusting the
>>  original binary checksum.  Note that down stream users of our source
>>  distro may not trust people we trust, so they may want those checksums
>>  anyways.
>
> How? By signing the checksum?
> If so, fine, but then why not just sign the jar.

Yes I mean signing the artifacts.  If you are adding a new dependency
that has a trusted signature, it's a should be a no brainer to accept
that the artifact has not been tampered with.  But remember not all
3rd party artifacts are going to have trusted signers.  Also, what
happens if that key used to sign the artifact gets compromised..  so
it might not be so trusted anymore.. So even GPG may not be the solve
all of the problem of initial trust.

>>  > What's to stop the checksum list being corrupted?
>
> Any comment on this?

To corrupt the checksum list.. the source disto must be hacked.  At
that point it's not a build tool issue.

>>  >
>>  >>
>>  >>  --
>>  >>  Regards,
>>  >>  Hiram
>>  >>
>>  >>  Blog: http://hiramchirino.com
>>  >>
>>  >>  Open Source SOA
>>  >>  http://open.iona.com
>>  >>
>>  >>  ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>  >>
>>  >> To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
>>  >>  For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >
>>  > For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org
>>  >
>>  >

>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>>  Hiram
>>
>>  Blog: http://hiramchirino.com
>>
>>  Open Source SOA
>>  http://open.iona.com

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Right.. It's part of the source distro or SVN.

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 3:10 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 9:08 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>  The checksums are _not_ downloaded from the Maven repository.
>>
>> So where are they stored?
>
> For example in our svn or signed source release packages. Along with
> the source code.
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 4:57 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18/09/2008, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 2:26 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
>>
>> <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Hiram Chirino wrote:
>>  >>
>>  >> So the responsibility is still on us, the upstream distributor, to
>>  >> verify the the checksums we list in our source distro are correct.
>>  >> But at least by doing this, down stream users of our source distros
>>  >> can rest assured that the dependencies that they are using are the
>>  >> correct ones.
>>  >
>>  > Not if there is a man in the middle attack.  If you didn't notice the
>>  > recent noise w.r.t. DNS pollution, that's the very point of that vector.
>>  > Had it been exploited, tens of thousands of download users could have
>>  > been presented with inauthentic maven artifacts, complete with their
>>  > freshly corresponding checksums.  Welcome to the internet.
>>

>> Yes, but that kind of attack would only affect me if It's the first
>>  time I'm creating a dependency to that artifact.
>
> Which will be the case for everyone intially.
>
> Suppose you want to create a checksum list for Apache Foo.
> This uses say 30 Maven artefacts.
> You check each one against the official release version to validate
> the checksum list.
>
> Someone else creates list for Apache Wee.
> They have to go through the same process of validation.
>
> Someone else creates another list for Apache Foo.
> They have to go through the same process of validation.
>
> There's no easy way to share the result of a validation, except
> perhaps with a TLP.
>
> Whereas once a Maven artefact is signed, everyone who trusts the
> signature knows it is OK. Seems to me a lot less work overall.

You still have the problem of how do users start trusting the
signature?  What if the signature is also hacked.  This is a recursive
discussion IMHO.

>>  Further more, other
>>  existing users of the artifact would detect the artifact replacement,
>>  and act to get the problem corrected.
>
> If you don't notice the problem, why would they notice?

Not all users start using a dependency at the same time.  Odds are low
that a dependency gets hacked a soon as it gets deployed.  Common and
that means old artifacts would be the most likely targets for
malicious attacks.  And if it's an old artifact, chances are the lots
of folks know the right checksum for it.

>> I consider the checksum
>>  solution very similar to how SSH work in asking you to verify your
>>  initial connection to a host.  It's not 100% secure, but in practical
>>  use, it's in the high 90s.  :)
>>

> Or the low 10s - who knows?

Guess you don't trust SSH either eh?  :)

> How does the process cope with a dependency on commons-foo, version
> 1.2 or later?

Maven releases should pin down to a specific revision for this to work.

> AIUI, Maven can pick a later version of a dependency, which may not
> have been available when the checksum list was created.
>
> The advantage of signatures is that if you trust the signer, you can
> trust the signed artefact.
> That's not true for checksums, which require additional validation.

Signatures a handy and I think they will make trusting checksums
easier.. But the problem is that not all our dependencies have signed
artifacts that we can trust so we need to work with checksums.

>>  --
>>
>> Regards,
>>  Hiram
>>
>>  Blog: http://hiramchirino.com
>>
>>  Open Source SOA
>>  http://open.iona.com

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 18/09/2008, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 2:26 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
>
> <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>
> > Hiram Chirino wrote:
>  >>
>  >> So the responsibility is still on us, the upstream distributor, to
>  >> verify the the checksums we list in our source distro are correct.
>  >> But at least by doing this, down stream users of our source distros
>  >> can rest assured that the dependencies that they are using are the
>  >> correct ones.
>  >
>  > Not if there is a man in the middle attack.  If you didn't notice the
>  > recent noise w.r.t. DNS pollution, that's the very point of that vector.
>  > Had it been exploited, tens of thousands of download users could have
>  > been presented with inauthentic maven artifacts, complete with their
>  > freshly corresponding checksums.  Welcome to the internet.
>

> Yes, but that kind of attack would only affect me if It's the first
>  time I'm creating a dependency to that artifact.

Which will be the case for everyone intially.

Suppose you want to create a checksum list for Apache Foo.
This uses say 30 Maven artefacts.
You check each one against the official release version to validate
the checksum list.

Someone else creates list for Apache Wee.
They have to go through the same process of validation.

Someone else creates another list for Apache Foo.
They have to go through the same process of validation.

There's no easy way to share the result of a validation, except
perhaps with a TLP.

Whereas once a Maven artefact is signed, everyone who trusts the
signature knows it is OK. Seems to me a lot less work overall.

>  Further more, other
>  existing users of the artifact would detect the artifact replacement,
>  and act to get the problem corrected.

If you don't notice the problem, why would they notice?

> I consider the checksum
>  solution very similar to how SSH work in asking you to verify your
>  initial connection to a host.  It's not 100% secure, but in practical
>  use, it's in the high 90s.  :)

Or the low 10s - who knows?

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Hiram Chirino wrote:

> So the responsibility is still on us, the upstream distributor, to
> verify the the checksums we list in our source distro are correct.
> But at least by doing this, down stream users of our source distros
> can rest assured that the dependencies that they are using are the
> correct ones.

Not if there is a man in the middle attack.  If you didn't notice the
recent noise w.r.t. DNS pollution, that's the very point of that vector.
Had it been exploited, tens of thousands of download users could have
been presented with inauthentic maven artifacts, complete with their
freshly corresponding checksums.  Welcome to the internet.

Checksums are not security.  They are nothing but error checking.

>> What's to stop the checksum list being corrupted?

Now you are thinking :)

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 10:59 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18/09/2008, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 9:42 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
>>
>> <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Similarly, the issue of signature validation is a significant flaw which
>>  > I also hope maven addresses even more promptly, and which they are aware
>>  > of.  The alternatives are to take down maven until it is secure, or to
>>  > continue to populate maven with various released artifacts.  And this too
>>  > isn't germane to the question above, which is;
>>

>> The signature validation issue has a simple fix which I have already
>>  mentioned earlier.  I'm not sure why folks continue to think it's
>>  still a problem.  All the projects need to do is enable a checksum
>>  validation plugin, and at least that problem is resolved.
>>

> Not sure I agree that the checksum plugin solves the problem.
>
> As far as I can tell, all that the plugin does is to detect any
> changes to dependencies that occur *after the checksum list is
> initially generated*

Agreed.

> Unless I'm mistaken, it does not guard against the orignal dependency
> already being corrupt, nor does it protect the product itself.

So the responsibility is still on us, the upstream distributor, to
verify the the checksums we list in our source distro are correct.
But at least by doing this, down stream users of our source distros
can rest assured that the dependencies that they are using are the
correct ones.

If a committer by mistake adds an invalid checksum for an artifact
that he been hacked in his repo, hopefully, another developer doing
the build will notice that the build fails due to checksum error if he
has the valid artifact.  At that point they can investigate who has
the valid copy of the artifact.  The more users that are building the
software with the checksum validation, the better of chance you got at
some one noticing a hacked repo artifact.

If by chance all repos being used only have the hacked version of the
artifact and, no one notices it hacked and we release with that.. then
that would be a serious issue yes.  I think we should handle that like
we would handle any serious security flaw in our products.  Re-release
with the flaw (checksum) corrected and advise all our users to
upgrade.

On a side note.. a GPG web of trust would help in trusting the
original binary checksum.  Note that down stream users of our source
distro may not trust people we trust, so they may want those checksums
anyways.

> What's to stop the checksum list being corrupted?
>

>>  --
>>  Regards,
>>  Hiram
>>
>>  Blog: http://hiramchirino.com
>>
>>  Open Source SOA
>>  http://open.iona.com

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
true. these are the reasons i voted the way i did. basically throwing
up my hands saying nothing much we can do other than just continue
pissing off our users...I am sure the numerous maven pmc members here
are taking note, but are probably waiting for patches :)

-- dims

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Bill,

Since you are stating facts. Let's make it clear that when someone
download the artifacts, there's a good chance that you will see the
disclaimers. With maven, we don't. That's the hiccup that caused the
policy in place right now and the bruising battle now being fought is
caused by the fact that there is no other
maven-pmc-blessed-and-approved-way to inform the folks who
auto-magically pull dependencies as of this moment and there is not
likely to be one in the future AFAICT.

-- dims

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 06:57 -0400, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> I voted +1, but I personally think the vote is kind of irrelevant.....

[...]

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 13:19 -0400, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> I still maintain that unless Maven makes swift strides to enforce signing,
> the ASF should ban the use of the Maven repository for all ASF projects, and
> go so far as to remove all of our artifacts.

sorry, but that is ridiculous. That might work for incubator, but the
PMCs can release in their own right through whatever channel they chose
to.

	Best regards
		Henning

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Ah! i was just waiting for this response :)

" I don't see any patches yet to help out"

-- dims

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 11:36 AM, Brian E. Fox <br...@reply.infinity.nu>wrote:

> >Maven is *too* transparent in what it does: it hides the disclaimer,
> >preventing the POLICY of ensuring that users are explicitly aware of
> and
> >agree to use of Incubator artifacts.
>
> Maven doesn't *hide* anything, it simply makes requests via http. You
> can use your browser to pull stuff from Central, does that mean FF
> "hides" things?

Rhetoric. FF doesn't publish the repo. And there's a security model for what
is published (plugins) and what is executed (sandboxed JS).

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:

> Maven is *too* transparent in what it does: it hides the disclaimer,
> preventing the POLICY of ensuring that users are explicitly aware of and
> agree to use of Incubator artifacts.

We I think this could easily be fixed with proper notice in source
distro.  I.E. maven may hide the disclaimer, but it's just a build
tool after all.  If notice needs to be given, then that notice should
be in the README or the NOTICE file.

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA