Posted to asp@perl.apache.org by Richard Curtis <ri...@crosswired.co.uk> on 2003/02/17 18:15:24 UTC

Stress test Apache::ASP application.

I am looking for a way to stress test my web app which has been
developed in Apache::ASP.

I have seen an application called "Microsoft Application Center Test"
which can literally record a users actions in Internet Explorer, then
simulate this action over an over again.

This application comes with .Net Enterprise Edition, so is not cheap.

Does anyone know of any free / shareware apps that can do a similar
thing, but work with an Apache web server.

The M$ Application Center Test seems to also have functionality to query
the webserver as to how much CPU it is using... this is obviously
something specific to IIS/Windows, but it would be nice if there is any
alternative to this for us users who are running under Apache on Linux.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Richard

Re: Stress test Apache::ASP application.

Posted by Josh Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
Richard Curtis wrote:
> I am looking for a way to stress test my web app which has been
> developed in Apache::ASP.
>
> I have seen an application called "Microsoft Application Center Test"
> which can literally record a users actions in Internet Explorer, then
> simulate this action over an over again.
>
> This application comes with .Net Enterprise Edition, so is not cheap.
>
> Does anyone know of any free / shareware apps that can do a similar
> thing, but work with an Apache web server.

The Roboweb project was meant to be a proxy capture replay testing method:

   http://sourceforge.net/projects/roboweb/

You might look into HTTP::WebTest on CPAN for another method.

Personally, I find using ab ( ApacheBench ) to be normally adequate,
but would use direct LWP scripting for something more advanced.
LWP programming can easily enable the capture & reuse of cookies
which can help when using ASP sessions.

Regards,

Josh

Re: Stress test Apache::ASP application.

Posted by Csongor Fagyal <co...@conceptonline.hu>.
Richard Curtis wrote:

> I am looking for a way to stress test my web app which has been
> developed in Apache::ASP.
>
> I have seen an application called "Microsoft Application Center Test"
> which can literally record a users actions in Internet Explorer, then
> simulate this action over an over again.
>
> This application comes with .Net Enterprise Edition, so is not cheap.
>
> Does anyone know of any free / shareware apps that can do a similar
> thing, but work with an Apache web server.
>
> The M$ Application Center Test seems to also have functionality to
> query the webserver as to how much CPU it is using... this is
> obviously something specific to IIS/Windows, but it would be nice if
> there is any alternative to this for us users who are running under
> Apache on Linux.
>
> Anyone got any ideas ?

There must be similar things. I have seen at least one similar app on
sourceforge.net, but sorry, I cannot remember the name of the project.
There might even be a CPAN module, at least something similar exists for
sure. Probably these are harder to use than MACT, but at least they are
free.

- Cs.