Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by simon <si...@simondo.com> on 2010/08/19 16:25:25 UTC

Using postCommit event to swap cores

Hi there,

I have solr configured with 2 cores, "live" and "standby".  "Live" is
used to service search requests from our users.  "Standby" is used to
rebuild the index from scratch each night.  Currently I have the
postCommit hook setup to swap the two cores over as soon as the indexing
on "standby" is complete.

It seems to work well on my development box, but I have not seen this
approach discussed elsewhere so I was wondering if I was missing
something here.

Feedback gratefully received!

Simon

Re: Using postCommit event to swap cores

Posted by Mike <mp...@ptd.net>.
  On 8/20/2010 9:52 PM, Lance Norskog wrote:
> Another way to do this is to set up the "live" core to do replication
> from the "standby" core. Replication should work this way, between
> different cores in the same Solr instance. This is cleaner than
> swapping the two cores.
>
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 7:25 AM, simon<si...@simondo.com>  wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I have solr configured with 2 cores, "live" and "standby".  "Live" is
>> used to service search requests from our users.  "Standby" is used to
>> rebuild the index from scratch each night.  Currently I have the
>> postCommit hook setup to swap the two cores over as soon as the indexing
>> on "standby" is complete.
>>
>> It seems to work well on my development box, but I have not seen this
>> approach discussed elsewhere so I was wondering if I was missing
>> something here.
>>
>> Feedback gratefully received!
>>
>> Simon

Depending on the size of your index (or the number of indexes you have)
and update frequency, you can even offload indexing to a dedicated
server and replicate from that. Works very well for us and we have about
8 cores.

Re: Using postCommit event to swap cores

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com