Posted to users@maven.apache.org by MATHUS Baptiste <ma...@mipih.fr> on 2008/03/27 14:32:29 UTC

[deploy-plugin] Abort deploy when a target is present

Hi all,

Recently, some developers did a release manually. So they put a release version in the pom and triggered a deploy. Everything fine but...
The thing is: they forgot to re-update the pom.version to a new snapshot version.

So, as the code is continuously integrated, at each new commit, the recent release was "automatically" overridden many times with the snapshot code before realizing it :-/.
So, what I would like is to be able to put an additional option for maven when run inside the continuous integration server, something like -DdontOverrideRelease, that would make fail the deployment if the released artefact is already present.

I've taken a quick look at http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-deploy-plugin/deploy-mojo.html but it seems it's not currently possible.
What do you think? Can a file an feature request about it in the plugin tracker?

Thanks a lot.

Cheers.
--
Baptiste

Re: RE : [deploy-plugin] Abort deploy when a target is present

Posted by solo1970 <so...@ericsson.com>.
Somehow I'm getting a little bit lost!!!  I tried to read the feeds but I
don't quite get it!

I'm just starting out with Maven (ver. 2.0.9) and I would like to have this
feature of NO re-reployement of the same version.  Can someone summarize?

How do I do this?  Is it available????

Sonia

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Others have asked about this previously. I would imagine it is filed
in JIRA if you go look for it.

The general response is, you can manage the rwx bits on your deployed
artifacts to avoid this happening. Off the top of my head, I think a
cron job that modifies the ACLs for deployed non-snapshot artifacts
that runs once an hour should do it. Or perhaps you could modify the
umask for the user that runs the deploys. Or any number of
alternatives.

Also I would assume the various repo managers are building this
functionality into their products (eg, do not allow to overwrite,
return fail when attempted).

If you're just using a dumb file repo, you're going to have to be
responsible for this on your own for now, at least until someone gets
inspired to add bits to wagon and other places to support the feature.

Wayne

Posted by MATHUS Baptiste <ma...@mipih.fr>.
Don't worry. I'm totally aware of how the open source community works and wholeheartely support it :).
I'll never complain if something isn't done quickly. If I really need something, I'll just try and provide the patch myself.

In the meantime, I'll log the improvement request (http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MDEPLOY-74).
Later, I might provide a patch in addition.

Moreover, in the current case, I guess this is something I could do as a maven plugin development big beginner :).

Cheers.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
The code needs to be moved to the deploy plugin and then the wagons in
2.0 and 2.1 updated to use it correctly. 2.1 will be a while before it's
ready for production use.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Wow, I obviously have not been keeping up with this issue. We have
various internal controls such that I don't particularly care about it
right now.

Thanks Brian.

Wayne

Posted by Ben Lidgey <be...@inuknetworks.com>.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by MATHUS Baptiste <ma...@mipih.fr>.
Well:

Posted by Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com>.

Posted by solo1970 <so...@ericsson.com>.
Our repository Manager is Archiva and it can't do it....

Sonia

Posted by "Nord, James" <JN...@nds.com>.

Posted by Todd Thiessen <th...@nortel.com>.
Well, I am pretty new as well but I have been putting some thought into
this.

If you are deploying snapshots, simply the "unique version" option. This
ensures your snapshots never get clobbered.

For releases, I would use the release plugin. This plugin calculates for
you, or asks you for, a new version to use after the release. It
modifies the <version> tag of your pom with the new version and commits
it back to source control so you can't "clobber" an existing release
when you wish to generate a new one.

---
Todd Thiessen

Posted by solo1970 <so...@ericsson.com>.