Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org> on 2020/11/15 17:37:30 UTC

[LAZY CONSENSUS] Move to new Website Git Repositories

Hi -

Unless there are objections I think we should move to the new CMS for openoffice-project and openoffice-org this week in about 72 hours.

Proposed schedule is Wednesday for both.

Regards,
Dave

Re: [LAZY CONSENSUS] Move to new Website Git Repositories

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
We do not need google analytics for this information:

https://uls.apache.org/exports/

URI	Pageviews
/index.html	2156
/download/index.html	1186
/api/docs/java/ref/index.html	1081
/why/index.html	872
/social/index.html	756
/support/index.html	728
/news/index.html	698
/product/index.html	669
/why/why_volunteers.html	606
/extensions/index.html	566
/donations.html	503
/contact_us.html	487
/projects/native-lang.html	453
/projects/accepted.html	402
/license.html	391
/privacy.html	380
/de/index.html	151
/dba/index.html	150
/sq/index.html	149
/awards/index.html	141
/dev_docs/features/3.1/index.html	140
/hr/index.html	134
/projects/index.html	133
/qa/index.html	130
/product/calc.html	126
/graphics/index.html	111
/support/books.html	111
/documentation/index.html	107
/bibliographic/index.html	105
/ml/index.html	98
/api/SDK/index.html	97
/aa/index.html	96
/ro/index.html	96
/eu/index.html	94
/tg/index.html	94
/api/index.html	92
/porting/index.html	91
/why/why_easy.html	90
/why/why_new_computers.html	89
/ta/index.html	88
/af/index.html	86
/fur/index.html	83
/about_us/milestones.html	82
/dev_docs/features/3.3/index.html	81
/product/draw.html	81
/why/why_sme.html	81
/gsl/index.html	80
/it/contribuire/index.html	80
/eo/index.html	79
/why/why_edu.html	79

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 15, 2020, at 3:20 PM, Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:

>> OK, I see them in Chrome, but not in Firefox. ;-)
>> Which makes it an even smaller issue...
>
> as I've reported the 2 original issues, I've tested again (Firefox on Linux) and now I don't see a single pixel that is moving when switching between both website versions fast. :-)
>
> Thanks for the quick analysis and fix!
>
>> Nothing that should stop us now.
>
> +1
>
> @Gavin:
> As Andrea already suggested, is it possible to save the current website [1] and [2] to a temporary domain like "old.*" just to have a reference when we see further problems?

Perhaps we can just use the Apache CMS staging urls? The CMS does put staged and production sites into SVN, so ... I think that is enough.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Dave,

In the end it was a browser cache issue in Firefox.
After reloading, the staged version is 100% identical with the online
version.

So, no further disturbance from me.. ;-)

Great work from your side!

Regards,

   Matthias

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Dave,

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Hi -

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Hi -

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Andrea,

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

> On Nov 18, 2020, at 1:23 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Dave Fisher wrote:
>> www.openoffice.org is switched over!
>
> Thank you! I've taken a look at the Italian site and:
>
> - Redirect from http://it.openoffice.org is still handled correctly
>
> - Some CSS is broken in the Italian site menu (most notably for already clicked links); here it would be useful to have a copy of the last CMS build around, to inspect the differences

It's the same css in the same order. There is a file missing, but it’s not in the old-site either. /branding/css/onlinehelp.css is included by tigris.css.

Here is svn log on the /branding/css directory:

css % svn log .
r1413471 | joes | 2012-11-25 19:32:20 -0800 (Sun, 25 Nov 2012) | 1 line

mv ooo to top-level
r1220318 | wave | 2011-12-17 17:20:59 -0800 (Sat, 17 Dec 2011) | 1 line

Added top bar with breadcrumbs and topnav. templates/topnav.mdtext is the first markdown added to the site. The following directories were missing or almost completely missing and are added: branding, distribution and development.

I’m seeing different color in visited links on the lefthand buttons, top navigation, and download button.

What’s your browser and OS?

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

There is some cleanup to do on our configurations in httpd. I had tested it on the staging server and the redirect worked, but not on www.openoffice.org.

> Let me say it again:
> Thanks a million time for doing this migration effort. I don't know of anybody else who could do this better. :-)

You’re very welcome.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Dave,

Am 18.11.20 um 20:55 schrieb Dave Fisher:
> And I published it and it is in production!
>
> Next time I’ll let you run the Publish Jenkins job which is manual.

I was already heading over to

https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/OpenOffice/job/OpenOffice-org-Publish-Site/

but you were faster... ;-)

Matthias

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Great!

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Wooot, Wooot!

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 18.11.20 um 18:11 schrieb Dave Fisher:
> Update.
>
> (1) openoffice.apache.org is now migrated.

Yeah!

> (2) openoffice.org Jenkins jobs no longer attach the very long build.log. If there are issues then it will necessary to login to Jenkins to find the errors.

Thanks :-)

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Update.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Hi -

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

> On Nov 15, 2020, at 10:08 AM, Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 6:59 PM Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Dave,

>> openoffice-project and openoffice-org this week in about 72 hours.

>> before.
>>> Please provide a link that shows the issue.
>>
>> https://www.openoffice.org vs. https://openoffice-org.staged.apache.org/
>> ;-)
>>
>> As already written, the vertical space between the topics on the main
>> page is slightly higher. This is on Ubuntu with Firefox and Chrome.
>>
>> The same for the colored boxes on the download page.
>>
>> None of this is a blocker to moving the website, they are minor
> differences in layout that can be
> resolved later. In fact, I prefer the newer version, the spacing looks
> better, but again, this does
> not need to hold up the migration.

Agreed.

There is a difference which is rather subtle. The page is inserting a non-display <h1> tag for screen readers. It seems like a strange method to me. Instead it should just have it there in the first place. But all of that can be easily fixed in a PR at any time.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> Am 15.11.20 um 18:54 schrieb Dave Fisher:
> >
> >> On Nov 15, 2020, at 9:40 AM, Matthias Seidel <
> matthias.seidel@hamburg.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Dave,

> openoffice-project and openoffice-org this week in about 72 hours.
> >> Yes for openoffice-project.
> >>
> >> openoffice-org has some optical glitches that should be ironed out
> before.
> > Please provide a link that shows the issue.
>
> https://www.openoffice.org vs. https://openoffice-org.staged.apache.org/
> ;-)
>
> As already written, the vertical space between the topics on the main
> page is slightly higher. This is on Ubuntu with Firefox and Chrome.
>
> The same for the colored boxes on the download page.
>
> None of this is a blocker to moving the website, they are minor
differences in layout that can be
resolved later. In fact, I prefer the newer version, the spacing looks
better, but again, this does
not need to hold up the migration.

Gav...

> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
>

> > Regards,
> > Dave
> >
> >> Matthias

*Gavin McDonald*
Systems Administrator
ASF Infrastructure Team

Re: [LAZY CONSENSUS] Move to new Website Git Repositories

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Dave,

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.