Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Harry Zhou <su...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/21 17:54:04 UTC

Far Future Expiration Headers of Assets

Hi!

About my T5.4 site, Google is complaining that "resources are missing
a cache expiration. Resources that do not specify an expiration may
not be cached by browsers . . . "

I read that "assets get a far-future expires header" and will be
"client browsers will aggressively cache downloaded assets."  So I am
not sure why responses for my assets all come with
"Cache-Control:no-cache" and "Pragma:no-cache".

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Best Regards
    Harry

Re: Far Future Expiration Headers of Assets

Posted by Chris Poulsen <ma...@nesluop.dk>.
The cdn should handle the expire headers. Tapestry only tells the client
where to get the files.

As for the modules I've never had a look at their expiration time, but a
simple test app in production mode also reposts 60secs here. - Guess that
could be something to dig into.

--
Chris

Posted by George Christman <gc...@cardaddy.com>.
Howard, just a thought. It appears as if the files with the 60 sec
cache are mostly Tapestry core files. Since we are unable to put a
checksum in the URI, would it be possible to put a version in the
filename? Example, bootstrap3.xx.css etc. I would think we could then
use a far future expiration on the modules, it would also make it easy
for us to keep track of what library version we are running too. The
downside might just be the library maintenance during upgrades.

I'm only pushing on this topic do to the fact a websites speed is one
of the few known ranking factors of Google's algorithm. A website that
scores high for speed will move up the page rank as Google believes
the users will have a much better experience. Currently Google's
scoring tool is scoring me in the low 70's for mobile which is
primarily do to browser caching and render blocking css and js which
we spoke about this before for future releases. I also think if we get
this figured out it would help to reduce some of the hosting cost
associated with the cloud.

--
George Christman
CEO

Re: Far Future Expiration Headers of Assets

Posted by George Christman <gc...@cardaddy.com>.

>>> www.CarDaddy.com

--
George Christman
CEO

Re: Far Future Expiration Headers of Assets

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com
@hlship

Re: Far Future Expiration Headers of Assets

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 6:41 AM, George Christman <gc...@cardaddy.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> >> where PageSpeed will complain about the assets, because although it
> >> sees the 10-year-in-the-future headers in the responses, which Chrome
> >> does honor and will cache accordingly, PageSpeed will, however, want
> >> to see a "Cache-Control" header in responses.  It is likely a
> >> non-issue because during ordinary browsing client caching is
> >> leveraged.
> >>
> >> The 60 seconds for modules are discussed here:
> >> http://tapestry.apache.org/javascript-modules.html
> >>
> >> "By default, Tapestry sets a max age of 60 (seconds) on modules, so
> >> you won't see module requests on every page load. This is configurable
> >> and you may want a much higher value in production. If you are rapidly
> >> iterating on the source of a module, you may need to force the browser
> >> to reload after clearing local cache. Chrome has an option to disable
> >> the client-side cache when its developer tools are open."

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com
@hlship

Re: Far Future Expiration Headers of Assets

Posted by George Christman <gc...@cardaddy.com>.

>>> www.CarDaddy.com

--
George Christman
CEO

Re: Far Future Expiration Headers of Assets

Posted by George Christman <gc...@cardaddy.com>.
> [...]

>> https://www.cardaddy.com/modules.gz/t5/core/messages/en_US.js (60 seconds)
>> https://www.cardaddy.com/modules.gz/t5/core/select.js (60 seconds)
>> https://www.cardaddy.com/modules.gz/t5/core/zone.js (60 seconds)
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 5:14 PM, Harry Zhou <su...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Bob and Thiago, thank you for pointing me to the right direction!
>>> Problem solved.
>>>
>>> It is NOT Tapestry related: Chrome's PageSpeed audit tool chooses to
>>> ignore Tapestry's 10-year-in-the-future "Expires" response header.
>>> But during actual browsing the assets are actually cached (seeing "200
>>> from cache").
>>>
>>> Google seems to take the position that "Expires" response headers are
>>> "superseded."  While Chrome honors "Expires" during browsing, it will
>>> also look for a "Cache-Control" in response headers.  See

George Christman
CEO
www.CarDaddy.com
P.O. Box 735
Johnstown, New York

Re: Far Future Expiration Headers of Assets

Posted by Harry Zhou <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi George,

<gc...@cardaddy.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> Problem solved.
>>
>> It is NOT Tapestry related: Chrome's PageSpeed audit tool chooses to
>> ignore Tapestry's 10-year-in-the-future "Expires" response header.
>> But during actual browsing the assets are actually cached (seeing "200
>> from cache").
>>
>> Google seems to take the position that "Expires" response headers are
>> "superseded."  While Chrome honors "Expires" during browsing, it will
>> also look for a "Cache-Control" in response headers.  See
>> https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/performance/optimizing-content-efficiency/http-caching#cache-control
>>

>> On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
>> <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Another thing to check: production mode is off?

>>> --
>>> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
>>> Tapestry, Java and Hibernate consultant and developer

Best Regards
    Harry Zhou

Re: Far Future Expiration Headers of Assets

Posted by George Christman <gc...@cardaddy.com>.
> [...]

> https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/performance/optimizing-content-efficiency/http-caching#cache-control
>

> On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
> <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Another thing to check: production mode is off?
>>

>> On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 17:34:39 -0200, Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Be sure production mode is on and that your links to the asset are using
>>> the asset: or context: binding prefix.
>>>
>>> Can you give us a typical asset URL (as seen by the browser)? That might
>>> give us some hints.
>>>
>>> Also be sure the expires headers aren't being removed by a proxy or CDN.
>>> Hint: doest the issue happen on your desktop with local host, or only when
>>> running on a server?

>> --
>> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
>> Tapestry, Java and Hibernate consultant and developer

George Christman
CEO
www.CarDaddy.com
P.O. Box 735
Johnstown, New York

Re: Far Future Expiration Headers of Assets

Posted by Harry Zhou <su...@gmail.com>.

<th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Another thing to check: production mode is off?
>

> On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 17:34:39 -0200, Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Be sure production mode is on and that your links to the asset are using
>> the asset: or context: binding prefix.
>>
>> Can you give us a typical asset URL (as seen by the browser)? That might
>> give us some hints.
>>
>> Also be sure the expires headers aren't being removed by a proxy or CDN.
>> Hint: doest the issue happen on your desktop with local host, or only when
>> running on a server?
>> On Dec 21, 2014 11:55 AM, "Harry Zhou" <su...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> About my T5.4 site, Google is complaining that "resources are missing
>>> a cache expiration. Resources that do not specify an expiration may
>>> not be cached by browsers . . . "
>>>
>>> I read that "assets get a far-future expires header" and will be
>>> "client browsers will aggressively cache downloaded assets."  So I am
>>> not sure why responses for my assets all come with
>>> "Cache-Control:no-cache" and "Pragma:no-cache".
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!
>>>
>>> Best Regards
>>>     Harry

> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> http://machina.com.br

Best Regards
    Harry Zhou

Re: Far Future Expiration Headers of Assets

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.