Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Vishwa <vi...@india.hp.com> on 2002/05/04 00:19:39 UTC

limitations of POST

Hello all,

Is there a limit for the amount of data that we can pass using http POST
method ?. We are planning to pass XML using a input field to a servlet.
This XML is dynamic and can grow.

I would like to know if there is a limit for passing data using http
POST. If yes then, Can we override the limitations somehow ?. Is the
limitation web/app server dependent ?.

Thanks for your help & time in advance.
Vishwa

Re: limitations of POST

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
Vishwa wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Is there a limit for the amount of data that we can pass using http POST
> method ?. We are planning to pass XML using a input field to a servlet.
> This XML is dynamic and can grow.
>
> I would like to know if there is a limit for passing data using http
> POST. If yes then, Can we override the limitations somehow ?. Is the
> limitation web/app server dependent ?.

See
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#limitrequestbody
but note that it defaults to unlimited.

The first limit you are likely to hit is in the programming of your servlet.

Joshau.