Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Venkat Tanga <ve...@oracle.com> on 2010/07/13 23:29:44 UTC

Tomcat 5.0.18 to Tomcat 5.5.23 upgrade issues

Hi,

       I am upgrading the web server Tomcat 5.0.18 to Tomcat 5.5.23 for
my Struts 1.1 based web application.

       I am facing JNDI configuration & Logging files creation issues in
Tomcat 5.5.23. Till now I am using tomcat 5.0.18.

       Now I need to upgrade my J2SE 1.4 based web application to Tomcat
5.5.23. There I am facing JNDI configuration related issues.

       For your reference here I  enclosed *server.xml* file of Tomcat
5.0.18, plz find it & suggest me how can I apply the same JNDI resources
configuration to the Tomcat 5.5.23 server.

       When I tried to apply the similar changes to Tomcat 5.5.23's
server.xml file. I faced below mentioned issues.

      At present I am facing two exceptions.

             1. Class Not Found related Error:

                 This problem is raising because of the Logging is
mentioned in the Server.xml file.

                 Because of this problem server is not even starting.
Reg this error, for your ref. I attached a log file
(catalina(1).2010-07-10.log)  here, Plz find it.

                Then I commented the Logging related elements & tried to
run the server, then it leaded to another problem which is mentioned below.

             2. JNDI resource / realam creation related errors:

                 Now the JNDI related issues are raising. (the actual
data sources connectivity URL's are configured in the struts-config.xml
file of the application)

                 Reg this error, for your ref. I attached another log
file (catalina(2).2010-07-10.log) here, plz find it.

          Any body plz suggest me the resolution ways. Many thanks in
advance.

Venkat

RE: Tomcat 5.0.18 to Tomcat 5.5.23 upgrade issues

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Venkat Tanga [mailto:venkateswararao.tanga@oracle.com]
> Subject: Tomcat 5.0.18 to Tomcat 5.5.23 upgrade issues
>
> I am upgrading the web server Tomcat 5.0.18 to Tomcat 5.5.23

Why would you "upgrade" to a version of Tomcat that's more than two years old?  If you're going to upgrade, be serious about it and use a current level (6.0.28 preferably, 5.5.30 if you must, 7.0.0 if you're brave).

> I am facing JNDI configuration & Logging files creation issues
> in Tomcat 5.5.23. Till now I am using tomcat 5.0.18.

Please read the Tomcat 5.5 docs; many of the config details have changed, and it's not our job to do your homework (unless we get paid for it).  Once you've read the docs (and looked at the FAQ), then ask questions if something's not clear.

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/index.html
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html