Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by sp...@gmx.eu on 2011/08/04 12:44:39 UTC

Modular Deployment

Hi,

I have an application which has a core app, some optional modules and config
files.

Until now I deploy the app into /webapps (NOT as war-File), copy needed
optional modules into WEB-INF/classes or lib and maintain config files
outside of the tomcat directory by adding the config directory as an
additional root into tomcats classpath.

Config files are maintained outside of the webapp, because I do not want to
overwrite them while deploying a new version of the app.

What I want is:

* Deploy the core app as war-File into webapps (or somewhere else via a
context.xml)
* deploy optional needed modules as .class Files or jar's somewhere outside
tomcat but only visible to the core app
* deploy config Files somewhere outside tomcat but only visible to the core
app

A restart of the app after deployment is no problem (no OSGi or similar
needed).

Can I achieve this with tomcat 6?

How can I achieve this with tomcat 7 (should work with servlet 3.0)?

Thank you

P.S. maybe any better proposals? ;)

RE: Modular Deployment

Posted by sp...@gmx.eu.
> Maybe the virtualWebappLoader is interesting for you:
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/loader.html#Vir
tualWebappLoader%20Implementation

Yes, I thought that this will be the solution for tomcat 7.

> It already exists in Tomcat 6 but was made official and documented in
> Tomcat 7. The only deficiency in TC 6 I'm aware of is thst you can't
> configure, whether resources inside or outside of the war take
> precedence in case of conflicts.

Ah... ok, thank you!

Re: Modular Deployment

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

On 04.08.2011 12:44, spring@gmx.eu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an application which has a core app, some optional modules and config
> files.
>
> Until now I deploy the app into /webapps (NOT as war-File), copy needed
> optional modules into WEB-INF/classes or lib and maintain config files
> outside of the tomcat directory by adding the config directory as an
> additional root into tomcats classpath.
>
> Config files are maintained outside of the webapp, because I do not want to
> overwrite them while deploying a new version of the app.
>
> What I want is:
>
> * Deploy the core app as war-File into webapps (or somewhere else via a
> context.xml)
> * deploy optional needed modules as .class Files or jar's somewhere outside
> tomcat but only visible to the core app
> * deploy config Files somewhere outside tomcat but only visible to the core
> app
>
> A restart of the app after deployment is no problem (no OSGi or similar
> needed).
>

> Can I achieve this with tomcat 6?
>
> How can I achieve this with tomcat 7 (should work with servlet 3.0)?
>
> Thank you
>
> P.S. maybe any better proposals? ;)

Maybe the virtualWebappLoader is interesting for you:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/loader.html#VirtualWebappLoader%20Implementation

It already exists in Tomcat 6 but was made official and documented in
Tomcat 7. The only deficiency in TC 6 I'm aware of is thst you can't
configure, whether resources inside or outside of the war take
precedence in case of conflicts.

Regards,

Rainer