Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "John E. Fritz" <jf...@ihomefinder.com> on 2004/07/27 22:29:20 UTC

re: 403 Forbidden

Hello,

I'm a newbie to Subversion, so forgive me if my question is obvious.  I've
spent a few hours looking at the list archives, though, and I still can't
figure this out.  Basically, I can create a repository, checkout a local
copy, commit, etc - everything except creating a branch from a local copy.
My setup is as follows:

Version: svn-1.0.6 for Win32 running on Apache 2.0 / Windows 2000 Server
Apache is running under user account "Apache" and this account has
read/write permissions to the repository directory.
The modules mod_dav and mod_dav_svn are loaded and seem to be working.
The following location tag is in the httpd.config:

<Location /svn/test_svn>
DAV svn
SVNParentPath c:\SVN_REPOS\test_svn
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Subversion repositories"
AuthUserFile passwd
Require valid-user
</Location>

When I try to create a branch typing the following at the command prompt:

c:\Inetpub\wwwroot>svn copy http://localhost:81/svn/test_svn/trunk
http://localhost:81/svn/test_svn/branches/test_branch1

I get the following error:

svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/test_svn'
svn: PROPFIND OF '/svn/test_svn': 403 Forbidden (http://localhost:81)

and the following in the error log:

[Tue Jul 27 15:06:33 2004] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Could not fetch
resource information.  [403, #0]
[Tue Jul 27 15:06:33 2004] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] The URI does not
contain the name of a repository.  [403, #190001]

Why would I only get this error trying to do a copy?  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John Fritz

RE: 403 Forbidden

Posted by "John E. Fritz" <jf...@ihomefinder.com>.
>>Yes, I actually did create a repository called trunk within the test_svn
>>directory.  I suppose the idea was to have a trunk repository, then
branches
>>and tags folders containing other named copies.  Despite the dumb way of
>>arranging these test folders, shouldn't my copy statement work?
>>

>The copy command can only work _within_ a single repository. If you
>expect to (ever) want to copy between directories, then they should be
>in the same repository.

>To get it working:

>(delete the old tree)
>svnadmin create c:\SVN_REPOS\test_svn
>(change SVNParentPath to SVNPath and restart apache.
>Browse to http://localhost:81/svn/test_svn -- you should see 'Revision 0'
>Try svn mkdir http://localhost:81/svn/test_svn/trunk
>
>/dh

Thanks.  I followed your advice and it's now working.

JF

Re: 403 Forbidden

Posted by Denis Hennessy <dh...@valista.com>.

RE: 403 Forbidden

Posted by "John E. Fritz" <jf...@ihomefinder.com>.
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm a newbie to Subversion, so forgive me if my question is obvious.
I've
>> spent a few hours looking at the list archives, though, and I still can't
>> figure this out.  Basically, I can create a repository, checkout a local
>> copy, commit, etc - everything except creating a branch from a local
copy.
>> My setup is as follows:
>>
>> Version: svn-1.0.6 for Win32 running on Apache 2.0 / Windows 2000 Server
>> Apache is running under user account "Apache" and this account has
>> read/write permissions to the repository directory.
>> The modules mod_dav and mod_dav_svn are loaded and seem to be working.
>> The following location tag is in the httpd.config:
>>
>> <Location /svn/test_svn>
>> DAV svn
>> SVNParentPath c:\SVN_REPOS\test_svn
>> AuthType Basic
>> AuthName "Subversion repositories"
>> AuthUserFile passwd
>> Require valid-user
>> </Location>
>>
>> When I try to create a branch typing the following at the command prompt:
>>
>> c:\Inetpub\wwwroot>svn copy http://localhost:81/svn/test_svn/trunk
>> http://localhost:81/svn/test_svn/branches/test_branch1
>
>You're using SVNParentPath, which means that apache expects
>C:\SVN_REPOS\test_svn to be a directory which *contains* a whole bunch
>repositories.  So your 'svn copy' command makes no sense, unless you
>happened to 'svnadmin create' a repository called 'trunk' within the
>'test_svn' directory.  I'm sure you didn't do that, though.  :-)

>Assuming that you did an 'svnadmin create c:\SVN_REPOS\test_svn', then
>'test_svn' is a lone repository... so you want to use the SVNPath
>directive, not SVNParentPath.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes, I actually did create a repository called trunk within the test_svn
directory.  I suppose the idea was to have a trunk repository, then branches
and tags folders containing other named copies.  Despite the dumb way of
arranging these test folders, shouldn't my copy statement work?

John

re: 403 Forbidden

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.