Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Christoph Sturm <ch...@schaumwelt.com> on 2001/08/08 19:57:32 UTC

Re[2]: EJB Messagestore

Hello Serge,

SK> Well, Avalon/James isn't an EJB server, so I don't know if/why you need to
SK> modify James... seems like you would just build Entity beans (BMP or CMP)
SK> that reads the same data format that James is using.  You can look at the
SK> repository code to see how the messages are stored.
I think that James has a pluggable repository (I saw mailbox format and
jdbc), and I want to create another one that uses beans. James would
just be a client to the ejb server, like it is now to a sql server.

Best regards,
 Christoph                            mailto:chrisml@schaumwelt.com

James - dynamic configuration

Posted by Peter Romianowski <an...@gmx.de>.
Hi there,

I already posted this to the users group for the discussion started there.
But now I think it's more a dev-thing...

thanks for the ideas. For my purpose the best choice would be writing a
matcher based on a database.
Here's a suggestion for other dynamic configuration:
For the applications which require dynamic configuration, I wrote some kind
of "configuration-framework".
This lets you use different configuration sources (properties-file,
database, xml or what ever) and has a built-in
reload-mechanism on specified events. For XML-configuration this event is
the file-modification. If such an event is fired all objects using the
configuration are notified (if they choose to listen for that event) and can
aply the new properties.
I am aware that there are situations where properties cannot be dynamic, but
mailetconfiguration should be no problem.
I think that at least dynamic mailet-configuration would boost the usability
and maintainability (is there such word? I'm just a german lamer... :-) of
JAMES, so I would like to see such things.
I don't know the general "masterplan" for the near future of JAMES, but if
others think that this feature may be useful and important I would discuss a
bit more about that. And of course I would help coding this feature...

greetz
Peter Romianowski

Re: Re[2]: EJB Messagestore

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Ah, that sounds pretty interesting.  How are you going to structure that?
James runs within Avalon, so I'm not sure how you could get it to act like
an EJB client.

To do this though, you really only need to make your own implementation of
Mail/SpoolRepository, like the Avalon and JDBC ones there now.  You have to
define the repository (handles retrieving, locking, listing, storing, etc..)
and the messagesource (defines how to open an input stream to the message
body).

Then you'd change the server.xml (?) to define the new kind of repository
like ejb:// (instead of file:// or db://).  Does that give you enough to go
in the right direction?

Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies
http://www.lokitech.com/