Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Kevin Dabson <ke...@dnc-electronics.com> on 2001/02/08 12:04:35 UTC

Need alittle help with something

Hello,

I am trying to integrate a whois type tool that allows
you to search domains into my own website.

But i want it so it's transparent to the user (Were all ISP boys!)

I have seen whois tools and places like oznic/netsol
but i want that on my website.

Basically the end user can buy a domain and not submit DNS etc
- i take care of that. They never see the DNS side.

Need some perl scripts to automate it all.

I am trying to automate my entire backend - around 12 server files
with mod_perl. If anyone can help or do it for money.

Anyway, assistance apreciatted.

Kevin

Re: Need alittle help with something

Posted by darren chamberlain <dl...@users.sourceforge.net>.
Kevin Dabson (kevin@dnc-electronics.com) said something to this effect on 02/08/2001:
> Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 11:04:35 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Kevin Dabson <ke...@dnc-electronics.com>
> To: modperl@apache.org
> Subject: Need alittle help with something
>
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to integrate a whois type tool that allows
> you to search domains into my own website.
>
> But i want it so it's transparent to the user (Were all ISP boys!)
>
> I have seen whois tools and places like oznic/netsol
> but i want that on my website.
>
> Basically the end user can buy a domain and not submit DNS etc
> - i take care of that. They never see the DNS side.
>
> Need some perl scripts to automate it all.
>
> I am trying to automate my entire backend - around 12 server files
> with mod_perl. If anyone can help or do it for money.
>
> Anyway, assistance apreciatted.
>
> Kevin

Take a look at Net::Whois
(http://cpan2.org/Asset/display?dist=Net-Whois). Here is an example:

bash$ perl -MData::Dumper -MNet::Whois
my $d = Net::Whois::Domain->new('perl.org');
print Dumper($d);

^D
$VAR1 = bless( [
  {
    "CONTACTS" => {
      "ADMINISTRATIVE" => [
        "Hockenhull, Benjamin R  (BRH11)  benh\@WEBSTER.EDU",
        "Webster University",
        "470 E Lockwood",
        "St. Louis, MO 63119",
        "314-961-2660 Ext 7643 (FAX) 314-968-7112"
      ],
      "BILLING" => [
        "foy, brian d  (BDF11)  brian\@SRI.NET",
        "Smith Renaud, Inc.",
        "875 Avenue of the Americas 2510",
        "New York, NY 10001",
        "212 239 8985 (FAX) 718 398 3625"
      ],
      "TECHNICAL" => []
    },
    "ADDRESS" => [
      "4470 SW Hall Suite 107",
      "Beaverton, OR 97005-2122"
    ],
    "NAME" => "Stonehenge Consulting Services",
    "DOMAIN" => "perl.org",
    "MATCH" => 1,
    "COUNTRY" => "US",
    "TAG" => "PERL2-DOM",
    "SERVERS" => [
      [
        "happyfunball.pm.org",
        "166.84.5.165"
      ],
      [
        "ns1.webster.edu",
        "198.246.0.4"
      ],
      [
        "maestro.sri.net",
        "166.84.185.2"
      ]
    ],
    "RECORD_UPDATED" => "25-Jul-2000",
    "RECORD_CREATED" => "31-May-1995"
  }
], 'Net::Whois::Domain' );
$VAR1->[0]{"CONTACTS"}{"TECHNICAL"} = $VAR1->[0]{"CONTACTS"}{"ADMINISTRATIVE"};

Here is a non-existant example:

bash$ perl -MData::Dumper -MNet::Whois
my $d = Net::Whois::Domain->new('ssssssssssssssssss.com');
print Dumper($d);

^D
$VAR1 = bless( [
  {}
], 'Net::Whois::Domain' );

You should be able to get something working based on this.

(darren)

--
You can put a man through school, but you cannot make him think.
    -- Ben Harper