Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jayson Enriquez <JE...@smud.org> on 2007/04/09 17:41:20 UTC

Tomcat 5.0.28 w/ JDK 1.5 Memory Leak

Memory leak resolved.

For the Java experts.

I just read tons of information regarding Java 1.5 (now known as 5.0)
garbage collection, throughput collectors, heap sizes, and so on. And
its still not 'sinking' in just right. For example ,"In the J2SE
platform version 1.4.2 there were four garbage collectors from which to
choose but without an explicit choice by the user the serial garbage
collector was always chosen. In version 5.0 the choice of the collector
is based on the class of the machine on which the application is
started". In regards to Tomcat 5.0.28, can anyone explain to me how JDK
1.5 (vs. 1.4.2_06) resolves the memory leak issue? Any feedback is
helpful.

Thank you

________________________________

Jayson Enriquez CHDP

Re: Tomcat 5.0.28 w/ JDK 1.5 Memory Leak

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.
This faq http://tomcat.apache.org/faq/memory.html covers a few things
about memory issues.

It is best to fine tune the application itself to see if there's
anything in the application that is over-using the memory, before
attempting memory adjustments.

Also the performance.pdf here: http://tomcat.apache.org/articles/ ,
discusses a few issues.

To improve performance you could check a few things in your app:
1) Are you using connection pooling, batch updates, deletes, inserts,
rowsets, prepared statements, closing them properly.
2) Circular object creation (sometimes infinite).
3) Storing large objects in memory when you could be reading them from the DB
etc

-Rashmi