Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Felmon Davis <da...@union.edu> on 2020/02/22 21:09:58 UTC

Re: cannot insert fields [SOLVED]

On Sat, 22 Feb 2020, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 14:33 22/02/2020 -0500, Felmon Davis wrote:
>> I'm trying to help someone out on formatting their document; they posted
>> earlier to the list.
>
> Is this Teresa Brown?

yes.

now deleting some text to get to your solutions; the second solution
worked! you wrote:

> The grey area is the required field, of course. So you have the field but it
> is failing to display the required value. You could confirm this by toggling
> the display to field names at View | Field Names (or Ctrl+F9).

yeah, I found that this is true: the field names appear.

> Method I:
> o Go to Insert | Manual Break... .
> o In the Insert Break dialogue, select "Page break".
> o Select an appropriate style (even if it does not change).
> o Select "Change page number" and choose the starting page number.
>
> Method II:
> o Either select the relevant field or position the cursor just to the left of
> it.
> o Go to Edit | Fields... (or right-click | Fields...).
> o For Page numbers, set a suitable value for Offset.

Method I had no effect but but Method II did the job!

> Now Method I seems to work for me, but Method II not always. In particular,
> if the page number is greater than the actual number of pages in the document
> it will not display. And negative page numbers will not display. In those
> cases the field will show as a grey bock but with no number - exactly what
> you describe.
>
> I'm not sure about page count, but I suspect the problem is similar.

it worked for page count also.

> I trust this helps.

very much so! thank you!

but we are not out of the woods yet. page count for arabic numerals is
to start at page 17, ok fine.

however now the preceding pages have numbers. I will have to remove
them. maybe sections will work or page styles; there are no section
now.

in addition some of them will a (one) roman numeral, non-consecutive,
the rest will be unnumbered, I'll finesse that by just typing in the
numerals.

will see how it goes but may be back for more advice.

f.

--
Felmon Davis