Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu> on 2009/04/14 21:18:26 UTC

Improving the apache parent pom

We currently have some expectations about what artifacts are created for
apache builds, such as javadocs and source jars, and specifically
artifact signatures. Currently each project must configure the current
release profile in their own top level pom. This raises the bar of entry
for new projects and creates more work for us to help them get it sorted
out.

I'd like to take the maven release profile and release plugin config and
push it up to the apache pom to make it consistent and easy for all
apache projects to produce proper releases.  I think to do it and avoid
conflicts with any existing profiles, I would change the profile name
from "release" to "apache-release" and activate that by default. Does
anyone see any downsides to this?

Re: Improving the apache parent pom

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> I think this is a great idea. You could even put the new apache wide
> repository and staging area in the release profile. Would make doing a
> release a snap IMO.

That part is already in Apache-5 ;-)

Re: Improving the apache parent pom

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
I think this is a great idea. You could even put the new apache wide
repository and staging area in the release profile. Would make doing a
release a snap IMO.

Martijn

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 9:18 PM, Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu> wrote:
> We currently have some expectations about what artifacts are created for
> apache builds, such as javadocs and source jars, and specifically artifact
> signatures. Currently each project must configure the current release
> profile in their own top level pom. This raises the bar of entry for new
> projects and creates more work for us to help them get it sorted out.
>
> I'd like to take the maven release profile and release plugin config and
> push it up to the apache pom to make it consistent and easy for all apache
> projects to produce proper releases.  I think to do it and avoid conflicts
> with any existing profiles, I would change the profile name from "release"
> to "apache-release" and activate that by default. Does anyone see any
> downsides to this?

Apache Wicket 1.3.5 is released

Re: Improving the apache parent pom

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.
I think it is a fine idea and would serve as a good example of best
practices for other organizations to follow...

jesse

--
jesse mcconnell
jesse.mcconnell@gmail.com