Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andy Raffle <an...@digitalspecies.com> on 2001/06/23 09:02:38 UTC

Mapping with InvokerServlet in Tomcat 3.2.1

I've spent quite a few hours trying to migrate an existing Jserv 1.0
servlet configuration to Tomcat 3.2.1, and I only have one question...

Where is org.apache.tomcat.servlets.InvokerServlet ??

According to the cvs, it was dropped a year ago, and yet in all the
places that I've seen where it shows you how to change the servlet
mapping (eg. from /servlet/* to /jbin/* in my case), it says to do
this...

	<servlet>
		<servlet-name>
			invoker
		</servlet-name>
		<servlet-class>
			org.apache.tomcat.servlets.InvokerServlet
		</servlet-class>
	</servlet>

	<servlet-mapping>
		<servlet-name>
			invoker
		</servlet-name>
		<url-pattern>
			/jbin/*
		</url-pattern>
	</servlet-mapping>

For me, this doesn't work. I can do something specific, such as:

	<servlet>
		<servlet-name>
			/jbin/xyz
		</servlet-name>
		<servlet-class>
			xyz
		</servlet-class>
	</servlet>

That works. But the generic doesn't. I can't find InvokerServlet
anywhere in the source or binaries, nor can I find any mention of the
...servlets package it's in. So it's either accidentally missing, or
only the name is there for backwards compatibility, or the remapping
mechanism is fundamentally broken. Or I've missed something!

And yes, I have the directory structure right.

I'm not looking for specific advice, unless it differs from the above.
But it would be nice if someone who is 'in the know' would explain (a)
where the InvokerServlet has gone, and (b) how the example above (almost
verbatim from the FAQ) is ever supposed to work!

Cheers!

Andy.

Re: Mapping with InvokerServlet in Tomcat 3.2.1

Posted by Jeff Kilbride <je...@kilbride.com>.
I was under the impression that to change the default servlet mapping, you
change the 'prefix' setting of org.apache.tomcat.request.InvokerInterceptor
in your server.xml file. I haven't needed to do it, though, so I don't know
if this is correct.

Give it a try.

Thanks,
--jeff