Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Fly, Charlie B" <Ch...@usa-spaceops.com> on 2005/10/20 17:39:40 UTC

svnserve question

Hi,

I am new to subversion. I'm sure this question is academic and I am just not understanding some trivial point.

I have created a repository and populated it, started svnserve in daemon mode, and created a working copy.  I have svnserve running under a my CM user id
and I am running svn under my DEV user id.

After changing directory into my working copy, I add a directory named test using

   svn mkdir.test

I try to commit the new directory with

   svn commit -m "added test directory"

svn attempts to directly write into the repository.  svn aborts with an error that it does not have write access in the transactions directory.

I think it is not calling svnserve.  If I kill svnserve, I get exactly the same error from svn.

So how do I tell svn to call svnserve?

Thanks for dealing with a dumb question.

Charlie Fly

Re: svnserve question

Posted by Joshua Varner <jl...@gmail.com>.
On 10/20/05, Hari Kodungallur <hk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/20/05, Fly, Charlie B <Ch...@usa-spaceops.com> wrote:
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > I am new to subversion. I'm sure this question is academic and I am just not
> > understanding some trivial point.
> >
> > I have created a repository and populated it, started svnserve in daemon
> > mode, and created a working copy.  I have svnserve running under a my CM
> > user id and I am running svn under my DEV user id.
> >
> > After changing directory into my working copy, I add a directory named test
> > using
> >
> >    svn mkdir.test
> >
> > I try to commit the new directory with
> >
> >    svn commit -m "added test directory"
> >
> > svn attempts to directly write into the repository.  svn aborts with an
> > error that it does not have write access in the transactions directory.
> >
> > I think it is not calling svnserve.  If I kill svnserve, I get exactly the
> > same error from svn.
> >
> > So how do I tell svn to call svnserve?
> >
> > Thanks for dealing with a dumb question.
> >

> It seems like you are using svn+ssh:// access, as you are able to
> access the server even after killing the daemon. Can you confirm that.
> If that is the case, then the user that is doing the check-in should
> have write access to the repository's db directory.

svn info should give you the url you used to checkout the
working copy. If it is a file:// url then you access the files
directly, if it is a svn:// or svn+ssh:// url then the client contacts
svnserve, likewise http[s] contacts apache.

You can try to svn switch --relocate file:/// svn://. Or just make
a new working copy if the original checkout used a file url.

Josh

Re: svnserve question

Posted by Hari Kodungallur <hk...@gmail.com>.
On 10/20/05, Fly, Charlie B <Ch...@usa-spaceops.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to subversion. I'm sure this question is academic and I am just not
> understanding some trivial point.
>
> I have created a repository and populated it, started svnserve in daemon
> mode, and created a working copy.  I have svnserve running under a my CM
> user id and I am running svn under my DEV user id.
>
> After changing directory into my working copy, I add a directory named test
> using
>
>    svn mkdir.test
>
> I try to commit the new directory with
>
>    svn commit -m "added test directory"
>
> svn attempts to directly write into the repository.  svn aborts with an
> error that it does not have write access in the transactions directory.
>
> I think it is not calling svnserve.  If I kill svnserve, I get exactly the
> same error from svn.
>
> So how do I tell svn to call svnserve?
>
> Thanks for dealing with a dumb question.

It seems like you are using svn+ssh:// access, as you are able to
access the server even after killing the daemon. Can you confirm that.
If that is the case, then the user that is doing the check-in should
have write access to the repository's db directory.

rgds,
-Hari