Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Alan Chandler <al...@chandlerfamily.org.uk> on 2006/02/11 09:02:38 UTC

Pages failing w3c validation

My tapestry based web site (at the url in my signature) is failing w3c
validation (see http://validator.w3.org/).  It appears this is because HTML
doesn' support the closing of tags within the head.

Since this all generated by the @Shell component, I assume that the default
DOCTYPE being generated (since I don't specify any alternative) is being
used.

Searching back over this list, I don't see any recent discussion of this.
Have other people run across this problem, and what do you do about it.
(I only noticed, because the site doesn't display properly in Internet
Explorer and I don't understand why - so I asked on a the css discuss list
and the only response I got back was about failing validation).

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

Re: Pages failing w3c validation

Posted by Alan Chandler <al...@chandlerfamily.org.uk>.
On Saturday 11 February 2006 16:39, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
> > Since my style is not to have specification files, and to include
> > everything in the html, I did this (ie escaping the quotes)
>
> A questionable choice, outside of prototypes and tutorials.

I understand the separation of concerns arguement, although in this case there
is just me acting as designer coder and general dogs body.  Without  the
specification files (unless there is no java, in which case I make a
component specification) I have less continual cross checking.

I thought that was the direction Tap4 was taking everyone.

> >         title="ognl:siteTitle" delegate="ognl:siteCSS"
> >         doctype="html PUBLIC \"-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN\"
> > \"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd\"">
>
> When I have "difficult" literal text, I put it inside a message
> catalog (.properties file) and reference it using the message: binding
> prefix.

>          title="ognl:siteTitle" delegate="ognl:siteCSS"
>          doctype="message:doctype">

Thats a good trick.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
> Since my style is not to have specification files, and to include everything
> in the html, I did this (ie escaping the quotes)

A questionable choice, outside of prototypes and tutorials.

>         title="ognl:siteTitle" delegate="ognl:siteCSS"
>         doctype="html PUBLIC \"-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN\"
> \"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd\"">

When I have "difficult" literal text, I put it inside a message
catalog (.properties file) and reference it using the message: binding
prefix.

         title="ognl:siteTitle" delegate="ognl:siteCSS"
         doctype="message:doctype">

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry

Re: Pages failing w3c validation

Posted by Alan Chandler <al...@chandlerfamily.org.uk>.
On Saturday 11 February 2006 10:44, Rolf Strijdhorst wrote:
> Hi alan,
> try this"
>  doctype='html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"'>
> start and end with a single quote you'll see it wil work

Thanks - yes I did manage to try that before my wife yanked me out for the
day.

worked a treat

Posted by Rolf Strijdhorst <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi alan,
try this"

Posted by Alan Chandler <al...@chandlerfamily.org.uk>.

Posted by Mat Gessel <ma...@gmail.com>.
The default doctype is html 4 trasitional. Try setting the doctype to
XHTML transitional. I think that will solve the problem.

<component id="shell" type="Shell">
	<binding name="doctype">
		literal:html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
		"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"
	</binding>
</component>

-= Mat