Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Brad Cox <bc...@virtualschool.edu> on 1998/12/15 00:25:27 UTC

os-linux/3531: Bad file number: flock; Exiting

>Number:         3531
>Category:       os-linux
>Synopsis:       Bad file number: flock; Exiting
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
After working flawlessly for months, apache has started crashing (several times a day) with this in the error log

[Mon Dec 14 18:12:26 1998] [emerg] (9)Bad file number: flock: LOCK_EX: Error getting accept lock. Exiting!

Nothing had changed; no recompiles, installs, etc. I've rebooted, fsck'd, etc, but nothing helped.

>How-To-Repeat:
I don't see how you can. This worked great for months, then kaboom.
>Fix:
Lincoln Stein reports he's encountered the very same problem and that this has been reported several times in this DB. On his suggestion, I've made this change to include/ap_config.h and am trying it out now. Too soon to say whether this fixes it.

/* flock is faster ... but hasn't been tested on 1.x systems */
/* bjc: #define USE_FLOCK_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT */
#define USE_FCNTL_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT