Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Sonja Loehr <11...@onlinehome.de> on 2000/04/15 13:52:20 UTC

memory-problem??

Newbie!!

I recently started using cocoon on windows 98 with apache
jserv 1.1 but it was a very short pleasure.
First it lasted longer and longer until the one xml-document I
often requested (to check and recheck my stylesheet) was
displayed, later there was no longer any chance to get it.
Sometimes I got the OutofMemory-error.
I can't recall to have changed anything without removing the
change in the conf-files of apache and jserv, but now there is
- with EVERY xml-document the same internal error:

In the (apache-) error.log file I found:
ApacheJServ/1.1: Exception creating the server socket:
java.net.BindException: Address in use

In the modjserv.log I found:
(EMERGENCY) ajp12: can not connect to host 127.0.0.1:8007
(EMERGENCY) ajp12: connection fail

What does that mean? Where do the files be "used"?
I think it all has to do with memory, but I don't even know
where to increase memory. Apache? JServ?

Could please please someone answer to that question, even if
it is perhaps somehow silly or out of cocoon-topic?  I'm
really frustrated, after all seemed to work perfectly.

Thanks,

Sonja

Re: memory-problem??

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Sonja Loehr wrote:

> I managed THAT problem with my "old" machine by specifying another port
> (8009) in the jserv-conf and the jserv-properties. The reason for the

That is not a fix, it's a work-around :)  There is something blocking
your port 8007 and that something must be found and terminated - perhaps
it is the source of your other problem as well. Or, re-install the OS :)

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung

Re: memory-problem??

Posted by Sonja Loehr <11...@onlinehome.de>.
Ulrich Mayring schrieb:

> I had the same thing, this error is very frustrating. Something is
> blocking your port 8007. Here's what you should do:
>
> 1. Uninstall everything JServ and re-install the newest version
>
> If that doesn't help, then
>
> 2. Find out which tool or service (probably some left-overs from a jserv
> crash) blocks port 8007 and remove it. Sometimes just rebooting your
> machine will do that, but in my case it didn't (even though I use
> Linux).
>
> Ulrich
>
> --
> Ulrich Mayring
> DENIC eG, Systementwicklung

Hi, Ulrich,

thank you for the hint.
I managed THAT problem with my "old" machine by specifying another port
(8009) in the jserv-conf and the jserv-properties. The reason for the
failure was that I didn't know how to stop apache smartly on windows, so
another instance of the JVM was still running when I restarted Apache.
One really has to stop Apache with 'apache -k shutdown'.
But there are still problems with memory I guess. In another mail I
described that something is blocking apache, so that creating a document (or
processing it I think) gets nearly impossible.

Re: memory-problem??

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Sonja Loehr wrote:

> In the (apache-) error.log file I found:
> ApacheJServ/1.1: Exception creating the server socket:
> java.net.BindException: Address in use
>
> In the modjserv.log I found:
> (EMERGENCY) ajp12: can not connect to host 127.0.0.1:8007
> (EMERGENCY) ajp12: connection fail

Hi Sonja,