Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Apache Support <ap...@bmw.de> on 2008/04/16 14:29:08 UTC

[users@httpd] Roadmap for Apache HTTP 2.0 and/or 2.2

Hello,

I have been asked to evaluate the life cycle contingencies for our apache servers.
So far I have been unable to find something like a roadmap to see how future releases are planned for the different branches.
Is there such a thing ? I am especially interested in how long the branches are likely to stay supported with bugfixes etc.

Thanks for any hints
Christian

Re: [users@httpd] Roadmap for Apache HTTP 2.0 and/or 2.2

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 8:29 AM, Apache Support <ap...@bmw.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I have been asked to evaluate the life cycle contingencies for our apache
> servers.
>  So far I have been unable to find something like a roadmap to see how
> future releases are planned for the different branches.
>  Is there such a thing ? I am especially interested in how long the branches
> are likely to stay supported with bugfixes etc.

There is no such roadmap. Apache httpd developers work on what they
think is important. You'll notice that 1.3 still gets the occasional
security release, so the developers haven't abandoned it.

If you want my opinion, I'd say that 2.0 is relatively vulnerable. It
has an easy upgrade path to 2.2 and is at a dead-end in terms of
development, so there is little incentive for the developers to
continue to support it over the long term. 2.2 would be the much safer
choice at the moment.

Joshua.