Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Josh Innis <jo...@apache.org> on 2021/10/23 01:00:09 UTC

[VOTE] Apache AGE (Incubating) 0.6.0 Release

Dear Apache Community,

This is a call for releasing Apache AGE (Incubating) 0.6.0.
To learn more about Apache AGE (Incubating), please see http://age.apache.org/

Apache AGE (incubating) community has voted and approved the release.
This vote passed with 7 +1 votes (2 bindings and 5 non bindings) and no 0 or -1 votes.

+2 (Bindings)
------------------------------
* Juan Pan
* Kevin Ratnasekera

*The git tag to be discussed and voted upon:*
https://github.com/apache/incubator-age/releases/tag/v0.6.0

*The git commit hash:*
commit 3681c90da68353507001db89eb429755d34857f7

*The release files for 0.6.0, can be found at:*
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/age/0.6.0.rc0/

*The signatures, files, etc. can be found at:*
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/age/

*Signatures used for AGE RCs can be found in this file:*
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/age/KEYS

*The fingerprint of key to sign release artifacts:*
2245 1CFA 0521 1612 A4EA 9F05 6EF7 BD28 B870 8B05

*For information about the contents of this release, see:*
https://github.com/apache/incubator-age/releases/tag/v0.6.0

Vote thread can be found here [1].

[1]https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r7152a52ca973bc72282ff9a1591e49ec1662e69914aa2c9784c256a6%40%3Cdev.age.apache.org%3E

The vote will be open for 72 hours.
[ ] +1 release this package
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 do not release this package because...

Thank you for all your time.

Best regards,
Josh Innis

Re: [VOTE] Apache AGE (Incubating) 0.6.0 Release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Could we please get some clarification on the following items -
>
> "- LICENSE is missing information from [1][2]”

Sorry my mistake I do see that both copyright statements are in LICENSE. You can ignore this.

> "- NOTICE is incorrect. There should be no need for "This product contains software PostgreSQL…” unless headers have been replace with permission or there was a software grant from PostgreSQL. This has previously been mentioned (in vote on 0.4.0 release). Also see issue with [1][2]."
>
> We are a bit confused here because AGE extensively uses PG code.

If you include code form a 3rd party that generally gets mentioned in LICENSE not NOTICE. [1]

> Many times we have to copy over PG code (static functions in particular) into our files and we may modify that code to varying degrees. So, it feels like we should cite that usage. Is it that NOTICE is not the proper location?

No that is not what NOTICE is for. In general code from a 3rd party should include the original headers and not have ASF headers. I assume this code is under the PostgreSQL license already mentioned in LICENSE?

> My understanding was that when the code was donated to Apache, we needed to change all of the Bitnine headers to ASF headers.

Sure but that needs to be listed in NOTICE. If this code was 3rd party code and not code developed at Bitnine, and was from the PostgreSQL project, then it probably should have the original PostgreSQL headers on it.

Kind Regards,
Justin

1. https://infra.apache.org/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps
2. https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#3party

Re: [VOTE] Apache AGE (Incubating) 0.6.0 Release

Posted by John Gemignani <jg...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin

Could we please get some clarification on the following items -

"- LICENSE is missing information from [1][2]"

What specifically is the missing information from [1][2]. Could you give us an example to help us understand and correct this?

"- NOTICE is incorrect. There should be no need for "This product contains software PostgreSQL…” unless headers have been replace with permission or there was a software grant from PostgreSQL. This has previously been mentioned (in vote on 0.4.0 release). Also see issue with [1][2]."

We are a bit confused here because AGE extensively uses PG code. Many times we have to copy over PG code (static functions in particular) into our files and we may modify that code to varying degrees. So, it feels like we should cite that usage. Is it that NOTICE is not the proper location?

"- If seem unlikely that [1][2] should have ASF headers? In general the licensing of the file should stay as it is unless significant modifications have ben done. Looking at the history it seems if was originally "Copyright 2020 Bitnine Co., Ltd.” Why is this not mentioned in NOTICE? Was permission given to change the headers?"

My understanding was that when the code was donated to Apache, we needed to change all of the Bitnine headers to ASF headers. That is why those files (and all of the others) have ASF headers. Is it that we still need to include the Bitnine copyright in each file or just in the NOTICE file or both?

Thank you in advance,

John

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> We need to figure out where these files came from. If they originated from Bitnine, we should keep their original header and mention them in NOTICE/LICENSE.

If they were part of the original grant then I would change the headers to ASF ones and add teh required text to NOTICE. If they came in another way then I would keep the Bitnine headers and note that in LICENSE.

Kind Regards,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Apache AGE (Incubating) 0.6.0 Release

Posted by Juan Pan <pa...@apache.org>.
Hi,

We need to figure out where these files came from. If they originated from Bitnine, we should keep their original header and mention them in NOTICE/LICENSE. Otherwise, only keep the ASF header for them.

Juan Pan(Trista), Apache ShardingSphere PMC, Apache brpc (Incubating) & AGE (Incubating) mentor
Twitter, @tristaZero

On 10/25/2021 11:24,Eya Badal Abdisho<ey...@bitnine.net> wrote:
Hello Justin,

Thank you for your feedback. The issue with hashes and Signatures on the
website for each download is fixed. We created a download page and
added the required information as mentioned before: http://age.apache.org/
<http://age.apache.org/#> It is under the download then versions page.

Based on your feedback should we remove "Postgresql Copyright" from our
NOTICE and add "Copyright 2020 Bitnine Co., Ltd.”?

Please advise.

Best regards,
Eya Badal

On Sat, Oct 23, 2021 at 5:27 PM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

Hi,

Sorry but it’s -1 (binding) as there is no download page and the download
links on the home page do not have hashes and signatures. This was brought
up on this list recently and was asked to be corrected.  Also see other
issues below.

In the release:
- incubating in name
- signatures and hashes are fine
- LICENSE is missing information from [1][2]
- NOTICE is incorrect. There should be no need for "This product contains
software PostgreSQL…” unless headers have been replace with permission or
there was a software grant from PostgreSQL. This has previously been
mentioned (in vote on 0.4.0 release). Also see issue with [1][2].
- If seem unlikely that [1][2] should have ASF headers? In general the
licensing of the file should stay as it is unless significant modifications
have ben done. Looking at the history it seems if was originally "Copyright
2020 Bitnine Co., Ltd.” Why is this not mentioned in NOTICE? Was permission
given to change the headers?
- Probably similar issue with these file [3][4]
- No unexpected binary files
- unable to compile but assume that my setup.
src/backend/catalog/ag_graph.c:67:15: error: assigning to 'Oid'
(aka 'unsigned int') from incompatible type 'void'

Kind Regards,
Justin

1. ./src/include/utils/agtype_parser.h
2. ./src/backend/utils/adt/agtype_parser.c
3. ./src/include/utils/agtype.h
4. ./src/backend/utils/adt/agtype.c

Bitnine Global, Inc. - We create value for our clients by connecting the
world's data.

*Eya Badal Abdisho*

Technical Engineer

E-mail : eya.abdisho@bitnine.net <jo...@bitnine.net>

Mobile : +1 408-966-3301

3945 Freedom Cir., Suite 260,
Santa Clara, CA 95054

www.bitnine.net

Re: [VOTE] Apache AGE (Incubating) 0.6.0 Release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Postgres has not donated anything to our project.

Then it probably should not be mentioned in NOTICE in that way.

> We generally don't copy Postgres files over. So, no we haven't replaced their copyright notice.

But you’ve not copied it over either, which is slightly problematic. Especially when the file headers say this is ASF code and licensed under the Apache license, when it is not.

I’m not sure what the best solution would be here, best to discuss with your mentors and other people involved in the project. One solution would be to place all of this copied code into files that had the correct headers.

Kind Regards,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Apache AGE (Incubating) 0.6.0 Release

Posted by John Gemignani <jg...@apache.org>.
Justin,

"Has code from PostgreSQL been donated to the project? Have files that had PostgreSQL copyright in their headers been replaced? "

Postgres has not donated anything to our project. We generally don't copy Postgres files over. So, no we haven't replaced their copyright notice.

What we generally do is copy functions that we may need from Postgres into our source files. This is because we may need the functionality of their static (private) functions.

Does that help you to answer my questions?

Thanks in advance,

John

Re: Re: [VOTE] Apache AGE (Incubating) 0.6.0 Release

Posted by Josh Innis <jo...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

I setup my private github repository with the updates to the license headers. https://github.com/JoshInnis/incubator-age

Can you please confirm that all files in question, with regards to Postgres, should have the following header:

/*
 * Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
 * or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file
 * distributed with this work for additional information
 * regarding copyright ownership.  The ASF licenses this file
 * to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the
 * "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance
 * with the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
 *
 * http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 *
 * Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
 * software distributed under the License is distributed on an
 * "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY
 * KIND, either express or implied.  See the License for the
 * specific language governing permissions and limitations
 * under the License.
 *
 * Portions Copyright (c) 1996-2018, PostgreSQL Global Development Group
 * Portions Copyright (c) 1994, Regents of the University of California
 */

Posted by John Gemignani <jg...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Most of our code uses or is inspired by PostgreSQL's code, in some modified form or another. Additionally, we try to have our code work tightly with their code in order to reduce replication of code. As a core developer, and from your input, I wouldn't be comfortable with anything less than including PostgreSQL's license (along with ASF) in nearly all of our source files - to be safe. Would this be satisfactory to you?

My understanding of what you are saying about the Bitnine license is to leave it out. As Bitnine donated this code to ASF and merely stating it in the LICENSE or NOTICE file should be sufficient. Would this be satisfactory to you?

Thank you in advance!

John

Posted by John Gemignani <jg...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

It would be accurate because, most of our code is based off PostgreSQL. AGE is an openCypher language implementation built into PostgreSQL via their extension mechanism. It follows how PostgreSQL implements the SQL language.

Additionally, we modify their parse and query trees in order to implement the openCypher grammar and grammar transforms. This means using and modifying their code to work in the new functionality.

For the transform phase, we have to follow how PostgreSQL transforms their nodes so that we can properly transform ours. A lot of times, we have to copy and modify some of their static functions to allow us to correctly handle specific cases.

Our C files also include their C headers for access to public functions.

So, nearly every file has some PostgreSQL code in it, to some extent. There are a few exceptions, but they are in the minority.

I would just rather error on the safe side because, due to using their structures and functions, code that isn't PostgreSQL code can look just like PostgreSQL code.

John

Posted by Eya Badal <ey...@apache.org>.
Thank you, Justin. We followed your advice and redirected the download links as requested. Also added KEY Files to the website.

**Changed https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/age/0.5.0.rc0/apache-age-0.5.0-incubating-src.tar.gz.sha512 to go via https://downloads.apache.org/incubator/age/0.5.0.rc0/apache-age-0.5.0-incubating-src.tar.gz.sha512

**Changed https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/age/0.5.0.rc0/apache-age-0.5.0-incubating-src.tar.gz.asc to go via https://downloads.apache.org/incubator/age/0.5.0.rc0/apache-age-0.5.0-incubating-src.tar.gz.asc

Apache AGE(incubating) Website:
http://age.apache.org/#

Best regards,
Eya

Posted by Juan Pan <pa...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Thank for your beneficial feedback.

> Please change link to https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/age/0.5.0.rc0/apache-age-0.5.0-incubating-src.tar.gz.sha512 to go via https://downloads.apache.org/

@AGE team, [1] shows you the download links and potential issues currently.

Regarding the NOTICE issue, I presume [2] explains more about the cases you have met these days. Firstly, it is suggested to figure out where these sources files come from (Looks like they are third-part files), then these sections guide us on how to deal with the header and NOTICE.

[1] https://incubator.apache.org/clutch/age.html
[2] https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Eya Badal Abdisho <ey...@bitnine.net>.
Hi Justin,

Could you please advise where the download link for 0.5.0 should be
pointing out to?

Thank you,
Eya

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by John Gemignani <jg...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

What is the ASF policy for including parts of external source files such as in functions? Again, we only include what we need and we generally modify that code. We don't copy files over, with the exception of one that I can think of.

In this case do we just use the PostgreSQL license for all of that work? And leave out the ASF license?

John

Posted by John Gemignani <jg...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

I feel it is important to point out that we are constantly adding PostgreSQL code to our project as we add in new components. A lot of our work is transforming PostgreSQL's implementation to work with our added functionality i.e. our work is very mixed with PostgreSQL code.

Unfortunately, this isn't and won't be a one time thing for us. This is what makes it so challenging and why we are trying very hard to nail down what exactly (or precisely) we need to do to please everyone.

So, my understanding is that for all of our files that have any PostgreSQL code (anything from a PostgreSQL source file), modified or not, we need their license and not the ASF license. For work that doesn't have PostgreSQL code, we need the ASF license.

Is this correct? Does this make sense?

Thank you in advance,

John

Posted by John Gemignani <jg...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

So, we are going to put the PostgreSQL license into all of our files that have any PostgreSQL code and remove the ASF license from them.

Additionally, going forward we are going to move as much of the PostgreSQL code that can be moved, into their own files.

Will this satisfy your concerns with regards to this item?

Thanks in advance.

John

Posted by Josh Innis <jo...@apache.org>.
I have  updated the following files in question in my repository to use the Postgres header, and removed the ASF header. https://github.com/JoshInnis/incubator-age If this is correct we will correct in the repository and the release as well. It includes the full copyright with no mention of ASF.

        src/include/parser/cypher_expr.h
        src/backend/utils/ag_func.c
        src/include/parser/ag_scanner.h
        src/backend/parser/cypher_item.c
        src/backend/executor/cypher_utils.c
        src/backend/utils/adt/agtype.c
        src/backend/parser/cypher_expr.c
        src/backend/parser/cypher_clause.c
        src/backend/parser/cypher_parse_agg.c
        src/include/parser/cypher_parse_agg.h
        src/include/utils/agtype.h
        src/backend/utils/adt/agtype_util.c
        src/include/utils/agtype_parser.h
        src/include/utils/ag_float8_supp.h
        src/backend/utils/adt/ag_float8_supp.c
        src/include/utils/ag_func.h
        src/backend/parser/cypher_keywords.c
        src/backend/parser/cypher_parse_node.c

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Josh Innis <jo...@apache.org>.
That statement is contained with the LICENSE https://github.com/JoshInnis/incubator-age/blob/master/LICENSE.

Postgres headers do not include it. Its only contained in the COPYRIGHT.

https://github.com/postgres/postgres/blob/master/src/backend/executor/execAsync.c
https://github.com/postgres/postgres/blob/master/COPYRIGHT

Do we need to add it explicitly?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Eya Badal <ey...@apache.org>.
Thank you, Usama, for the beneficial information. @Justin Mclean @Juan Pan @Kevin Ratnasekera @Felix Cheung, could you please advise if the mentioned approach will be a good solution for the previous discussion regarding the Postgresql license?

Basically, keep the PostgreSQL copyright messages intact in all file headers that it copy/use from the PostgreSQL and just append Bitnine's copyright message to the header along with the PostgreSQL's message. And there is no need for PostgreSQL source files to be donated to the project as the PostgreSQL license already gives the permission to use/modify/distribute its code.

Best regards,
Eya

Posted by Muhammad Usama <m....@agedb.io>.
Hi,

Posted by Eya Badal <ey...@apache.org>.
Hello Justin,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Eya Badal Abdisho <ey...@bitnine.net>.
Hello Justin,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I see Bitnine is the company that donated the project AGE to Apache, so the
> header change seems to make sense?

Perhaps? If that is the case then why is that not mentioned in the NOTICE file? If you remove (with permission) a copyright line for a header as part of a SGA then that copyright needs to added to the NOTICE file [1]

Kind Regards,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#header-existingcopyright

Re: [VOTE] Apache AGE (Incubating) 0.6.0 Release

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 at 02:00, Josh Innis <jo...@apache.org> wrote:

> Dear Apache Community,
>
> This is a call for releasing Apache AGE (Incubating) 0.6.0.
> To learn more about Apache AGE (Incubating), please see http://age.apache.org/

> Apache AGE (incubating) community has voted and approved the release.
> This vote passed with 7 +1 votes (2 bindings and 5 non bindings) and no 0 or -1 votes.
>
> +2 (Bindings)
> ------------------------------
> * Juan Pan
> * Kevin Ratnasekera

> *The git tag to be discussed and voted upon:*
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-age/releases/tag/v0.6.0
>
> *The git commit hash:*
> commit 3681c90da68353507001db89eb429755d34857f7
>
> *The release files for 0.6.0, can be found at:*
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/age/0.6.0.rc0/
>
> *The signatures, files, etc. can be found at:*
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/age/
>
> *Signatures used for AGE RCs can be found in this file:*
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/age/KEYS

Please see the recent Shenyu and Kyuubi release vote threads for why
the KEYS file should be referenced from the public download location
instead:

https://downloads.apache.org/incubator/age/KEYS