Posted to user-java@ibatis.apache.org by Ti...@mcnichols.com on 2007/03/09 16:50:49 UTC

Re: Problem with several one to many relationships in breadth

We are in the process of rewriting all of our queries / mappings that used
several one to many relationships in breadth.  We have a lot of them -
guess we have lots of dumb luck :-)  because they have been in production
for quite some time (under 2.1.7 and earlier - from the time the nested
submaps feature was introduced).  We have chosen this approach vs a custom
RowHandler due to the scope of the problem and the desire to not change
stable production code (the performance hit will be minimal in our
application).

Anyways, my question is this:  Is it legal to mix collections populated by
"resultMap=..." and "select=..." in the same resultMap (which has a
groupBy...)?  I'm asking because I am getting an error during result
mapping when mapping to the collection populated by the "select=..."

Here's an abridged mapping:

<resultMap id="specialInquiryDtoResult"
 class="com.mcnichols.mserve.domain.dto.specials.SpecialInquiryDto"
          groupBy="specialInquiry.primaryKey" >
     <result property="specialInquiry.primaryKey"
column="INQY_RECORDKEY"/>
     <result property="specialInquiryScenarioDtos"
resultMap="Specials.SpecialInquiryScenarioDtoResult"/>
 </resultMap>

 <resultMap id="SpecialInquiryScenarioDtoResult"
             class="SpecialInquiryScenarioDto"
             groupBy="specialInquiryScenario.primaryKey">
        <result property="specialInquiryScenario.primaryKey"
column="INQYSCNR_RECORDKEY"/>
        <result property="itemDtos"
resultMap="Specials.SpecialItemDtoResult"/>
  </resultMap>

  <resultMap id="SpecialItemDtoResult"
             class="specialItemDto"
             groupBy="specialItem.primaryKey">
        <result property="specialItem.primaryKey"
column="SPCLITM_RECORDKEY"/>
        <result property="specialItemCharacteristics"
select="getSpecialItemCharacteristicValuesResult"/>
        <result property="optionDtos"
select="getSpecialItemOptionDtoResults"/>
        <result property="supplierRFQs" select="getSupplierRFQResult"/>
  </resultMap>

The last 3 result elements above (now selects...) were nested resultMaps.

Partial error output below....

--- The error occurred in
com/mcnichols/mserve/persistence/sqlmap/sql/Specials.xml.
--- Check the Specials.SpecialItemDtoResult.
--- Check the result mapping for the 'specialItemCharacteristics'
property.
--- Cause: com.ibatis.sqlmap.client.SqlMapException: Error getting nested
result map values for 'itemDtos'.  Cause: java.sql.SQLException: An
undefined column name was detected.
        at
com.ibatis.sqlmap.engine.mapping.statement.GeneralStatement.executeQueryWithCallback(GeneralStatement.java:188)

I have vaildated the query columns to bean properties mapping and all
looks fine.

Regards,
Tim

"Jeff Butler" <je...@gmail.com>
02/20/2007 01:01 PM
Please respond to
user-java@ibatis.apache.org

user-java@ibatis.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Problem with several one to many relationships in breadth

Tim - I'd take a very close look at whether it's really working in iBATIS
2.1.7.  If it is, then it's just dumb luck.

Take a look at the test case I added to the JIRA ticket:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IBATIS-396

This test fails under both 2.1.7 and 2.3.0, but in different ways.

Of course, I'd be happy to be proven wrong about this :)

Jeff Butler

On 2/20/07, Tim.Hammar@mcnichols.com < Tim.Hammar@mcnichols.com > wrote:

Hi Jeff,
Claudio and I are able to use 2.1.7 successfully - it stopped working in
2.2 versions.  Bummer about there maybe not being a fix going forward -
I've got a ton of queries that use this feature and of course I don't want
to change any long-time stable code which I'd have to do to use a
RowHandler.  Pending a fix, I guess we'll have to go back to using nested
selects.

Regards,
Tim

"Jeff Butler" <jeffgbutler@gmail.com >
02/20/2007 12:11 PM

Please respond to
user-java@ibatis.apache.org

user-java@ibatis.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Problem with several one to many relationships in breadth

Interesting....

In my tests, it fails in BOTH versions (2.1.7 and 2.3.0), but in different
ways.  So something definitely changed.  In my test, 2.3.0 is closer to
correct than 2.1.7 is.

But the important truth is that it does fail in both versions.

For now, I think a row handler is the best way to go forward with this.

I'll open a JIRA ticket with my test case, so everyone can see it.  No
guarantees about a fix, but at least it will be logged.

Jeff Butler

On 2/20/07, Jeff Butler < jeffgbutler@gmail.com> wrote:
I''m surprised by this (obviously).  I'll take a look.  It probably has to
do with the new support for multiple result sets.

Jeff Butler

On 2/20/07, Claudio Iacovozzi < claudio.iacovozzi@googlemail.com > wrote:
I tested my given example with iBatis 2.1.7.597 and it works! Ibatis
creates the expected bean:
Agent1  --> List<Customer> {1:Customer1, 3:Customer2}
       --> List<Event> {1:housebreaking, 2:damage, 4:theft}

Further tests with more depth (e.g. Custommer containing adresses) or
breadth (Agent containing additional List of addresses) were also
successful.

So Tim ist right and something in iBatis must have been changed. We
currently use version 2.2.0.638 / 2.3.0.677.

=> so what's the best solution if we still want to use the newest version?
Should we implement our own row handler and how can that be done?
Or is it possible that the behaviour of 2.1.7.597 will be restored?

2007/2/19, Jeff Butler < jeffgbutler@gmail.com>:
That's a good solution - then you could deal with object identity
yourself.

Jeff Butler

On 2/19/07, Larry Meadors < lmeadors@apache.org > wrote:
..or you could use a rowhandler.

Larry

On 2/19/07, Jeff Butler < jeffgbutler@gmail.com > wrote:
iBATIS groupBy support does not support two independant lists.  This would
be a very difficult problem to solve and would require us to deal with
object identity - which we don't deal with now.

So with groupBy, you can have one and only one list that is automatically
populated.  Other lists will need to be populated with a nested select.

Jeff Butler

On 2/19/07, Tim.Hammar@mcnichols.com < Tim.Hammar@mcnichols.com > wrote:

Greetings Claudio,

We too have this problem with the latest two releases.  If you use version
2.1.7.597 you should have no problems - hopefully you have not implemented
any new features like we had (and had to scramble to undo).  Versions 2.2
and 2.3 will not handle what you are trying to do.  I have been so swamped
that I have been unable to generate a test case and submit a bug report.
Maybe your example will suffice.

Regards,
Tim Hammar

"Claudio Iacovozzi" < claudio.iacovozzi@googlemail.com >
02/19/2007 06:51 AM

Please respond to
user-java@ibatis.apache.org

user-java@ibatis.apache.org
cc

Subject
Problem with several one to many relationships in breadth

We have a problem filling objects with several '1 to many
relationships' in breadth from one single SQL statement.

On page 40 of the iBatis Data Mapper Developer Guide the 'groupBy'
construct is described as follows:
"Using this approach, you can solve any N+1 problem of any depth or
breadth."

This just seems to work for any depth but NOT for any *breadth*.

Example:

An insurance agent contains a list of customers as well as a list of
insured events.

<resultMap class="agent" id="agent" groupBy="id" >
<result property="id" column="agentId" />
<result property="firstName" column="agent_firstname" />
<result property="lastName" column="agent_lastname" />
<result property="events" resultMap="event" />
<result property="customers" resultMap="customer" />
</resultMap>

<resultMap class="event" id="event" groupBy="id" >
<result property="id" column="eventId" />
<result property="title" column="title" />
</resultMap>

<resultMap class="customer" id="customer" groupBy="id" >
<result property="id" column="customerId" />
<result property="firstName" column="customer_firstname" />
<result property="lastName" column="customer_lastname" />
<result property="street" column="street" />
<result property="city" column="city" />
</resultMap>

- The used SQL statement:

<select id="getAgent" resultMap="agent" parameterClass="int">
SELECT a.agentId, a.FirstName as agent_firstname, a.LastName as
agent_lastname, b.eventId, b.title,
c.customerId, c.FirstName as customer_firstname, c.LastName as
customer_lastname, c.street, c.city

FROM insurance_agent a, agenteventlink ab, insured_event b, customer c
WHERE a.agentId = ab.agentId
AND ab.eventId = b.eventId
AND b.customerId = c.customerId
AND a.agentId = #id#

ORDER BY a.agentId,  c.customerId
</select>

- The returned result set:
agentId,agent_firstname,agent_lastname,eventId,title,customerId,customer_firstname,customer_lastname

{1,Agent1,Smith,1,housebreaking,1,Customer1,Johnson}
{1,Agent1,Smith,4,theft,1,Customer1,Johnson}
{1,Agent1,Smith,2,damage,3,Customer2,Miller}

What we would like to achieve is getting a bean of type Agent, which
contains two lists of all its customers and all its associated
insured events:

Agent1  --> List<Customer> {1:Customer1, 3:Customer2}
           --> List<Event> {1:housebreaking, 2:damage, 4:theft}

But iBatis creates a bean like this:
Agent1  --> List<Customer> {1: Customer1, 1:Customer1, 3: Customer2}
          --> List<Event> {1:housebreaking, 2:damage, 4:theft}

We want to avoid several SQL statements to get the necessary data (one
to get all events, and one to get all customers).

Any solution ?