Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Grant Bowman <gr...@svpal.org> on 2001/11/22 04:02:04 UTC

Savannah toolset

I have been loosly following the svn development so I know it's still in
the milestone stages, but I thought I would bring this up anyway.  I just
finished reading http://savannah.gnu.org/docs/savannah-plan.html and was
thinking about what it would take to allow subversion to be an alternative
in this environment.  I think the list is the following:

        1. Debian packaging of Subversion

        2. DTD for XML export of sources, possible based on
           svnlook and CoopX's CVS work

        3. Modified cvsweb/viewcvs for use with Subversion

Did I miss anything?

Cheers,

--
-- Grant Bowman                                   <gr...@svpal.org>

Re: Savannah toolset

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Will Andrews <wi...@csociety.org> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 02:52:10PM +0200, Tommi Virtanen wrote:
> > >         1. Debian packaging of Subversion
> >
> > 	That _will_ happen when you say "we are happy with this,
> >         we need large-scale beta testing now". I've been waiting
> >         for that day.
>
> I'll echo that sentiment for the FreeBSD camp.

If it's any consolation, there's a lot of implicit testing going on
every day.  There are three of us paid to code Subversion daily;  Karl
runs Debian, Mike runs RedHat, and I run FreeBSD.

So I suspect that when the big 'testing period' hits, the bugs will be
more about packaging systems (.rpm, .deb, ports) rather than "does it
work?"

Re: Savannah toolset

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 12:52:10PM -0500, Will Andrews wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 02:52:10PM +0200, Tommi Virtanen wrote:
> > >         1. Debian packaging of Subversion
> >
> > 	That _will_ happen when you say "we are happy with this,
> >         we need large-scale beta testing now". I've been waiting
> >         for that day.
>
> I'll echo that sentiment for the FreeBSD camp.

as soon as we hit a beta, i'll have a FreeBSD port off to will so he
can commit it ;-)

--
garrett rooney                     Unix was not designed to stop you from
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net       doing stupid things, because that would

Re: Savannah toolset

Posted by Will Andrews <wi...@csociety.org>.

wca (aka <wi...@FreeBSD.org>)

Debian Packaging (was Savannah toolset)

Posted by Grant Bowman <gr...@svpal.org>.

* Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> [011127 13:41]:
> Getting very close to that day now.  We still need to:
>
>     - finish the branching, tagging, merging code
>     - do the various small-scale, useful features that CVS offers,
>       such as newline conversion, keyword substitution
>     - fix many of the bugs you see in the issue tracker
>     - write some more documentation!
>
> However, there's no need for the Debian packaging effort to wait on
> all that, it can start right now.
>
> Testing is definitely welcome, it's just that at the moment it's most
> helpful for developer-type persons to test, because they're also
> likely to submit patches or suggested fixes for the bugs they find.
> Large-scale user testing is something we'll be ready for when we're no
> longer spending all our time on feature completion.

Tommi and others,

It sounds like Garrett and Will have FreeBSD packaging covered.  I would
like to start working on the Debian source packaging.  Would you or
others like to join in?  However I would rather not duplicate work.

It sounds like David Kimdon already has (as of a month ago) much of the
work done somewhere.  I would like to see this work checked into the
present self-hosting svn repository and work from there.  The Intent To
Package (ITP) announcement made 200 days ago has a discussion attached
to it.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?archive=no\&bug=97234

As Karl mentioned, the packaging work can be productively done now in
parallel with work on the main product.  I think the dependencies that
were discussed in the ITP are in much better shape now as Debian
3.0/woody is in the final stages of it's base package freeze.

-- Grant Bowman                                   <gr...@svpal.org>

Re: Savannah toolset

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Tommi Virtanen <tv...@debian.org> writes:
> > I have been loosly following the svn development so I know it's still in
> > the milestone stages, but I thought I would bring this up anyway.  I just
> > finished reading http://savannah.gnu.org/docs/savannah-plan.html and was
> > thinking about what it would take to allow subversion to be an alternative
> > in this environment.  I think the list is the following:
> >
> >         1. Debian packaging of Subversion
>
> 	That _will_ happen when you say "we are happy with this,
>         we need large-scale beta testing now". I've been waiting
>         for that day.

:-)

Getting very close to that day now.  We still need to:

    - finish the branching, tagging, merging code
    - do the various small-scale, useful features that CVS offers,
      such as newline conversion, keyword substitution
    - fix many of the bugs you see in the issue tracker
    - write some more documentation!

However, there's no need for the Debian packaging effort to wait on
all that, it can start right now.

Testing is definitely welcome, it's just that at the moment it's most
helpful for developer-type persons to test, because they're also
likely to submit patches or suggested fixes for the bugs they find.
Large-scale user testing is something we'll be ready for when we're no
longer spending all our time on feature completion.

-K

Re: Savannah toolset

Posted by Tommi Virtanen <tv...@debian.org>.
Grant Bowman <gr...@svpal.org> writes:

> I have been loosly following the svn development so I know it's still in
> the milestone stages, but I thought I would bring this up anyway.  I just
> finished reading http://savannah.gnu.org/docs/savannah-plan.html and was
> thinking about what it would take to allow subversion to be an alternative
> in this environment.  I think the list is the following:
>
>         1. Debian packaging of Subversion

	That _will_ happen when you say "we are happy with this,
        we need large-scale beta testing now". I've been waiting
        for that day.

--
tv@{{hq.yok.utu,havoc,gaeshido}.fi,{debian,wanderer}.org,stonesoft.com}
double a,b=4,c;main(){for(;++a<2e6;c-=(b=-b)/a++);printf("%f\n",c);}