Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Timothy Bennett <ex...@comcast.net> on 2004/04/22 22:25:32 UTC

[merlin] New feature available

Merlin users/developers,

I've completed the addition of a new feature in merlin this week that
provides support for an Ant-like fileset directive for classpath
specification.

This feature is included in the latest CVS of the avalon/utils,
avalon/composition-api, and avalon/composition-impl packages.  This
feature is slated to be part of the upcoming Merlin v3.3 release.  But
maybe Steve could grace us with an interim binary snapshot release,
possibly?

Anyway... I'll be updating the site documentation soon, but in the
meantime, here are a few examples of how you can use the fileset
directive for classpath specification.

*Example 1:  Include a directory-only in a classpath specification*
This example, which contains only a *dir* attribute, will include only
the given d:/my-java-libs directory in the application classpath -- it
will NOT include any files or subdirectory's in that directory.

    <classloader>
       <classpath>

          <!-- normal repo links here -->
          <repository>
             <resource id="avalon-db:avalon-db-api" version="0.9.0"/>
          </repository>

          <!-- new fileset usages -->
          <fileset dir="d:/my-java-libs"/>

       </classpath>
    </classloader>

*Example 2: Include certain files matching a wildcard specification in
given directory*
This example, which contains both a *dir* attribute and an *include*
directive, will include all the files with .jar file extension in the
d:/my-java-libs directory in the application classpath.

    <classloader>
       <classpath>
          <repository>
             <resource id="avalon-db:avalon-db-api" version="0.9.0"/>
          </repository>
          <fileset dir="d:/my-java-libs">
             <include name="*.jar"/>
          </filset
       </classpath>
    </classloader>

*Example 3: Exclusion of certain files matching a wildcard specification*
This example is the same as #2, but excludes files that have "-dev" as
part of the filename.

    <classloader>
       <classpath>
          <repository>
             <resource id="avalon-db:avalon-db-api" version="0.9.0"/>
          </repository>
          <fileset dir="d:/my-java-libs">
             <include name="*.jar"/>
             <exclude name="*-dev*/>
          </filset
       </classpath>
    </classloader>

*Example 4: Directory tree inclusion/exclusion*
This example includes all files with a .jar file extension in given
directory and in all it's subsequent sub-directories.

    <classloader>
       <classpath>
          <repository>
             <resource id="avalon-db:avalon-db-api" version="0.9.0"/>
          </repository>
          <fileset dir="d:/my-java-libs">
             <include name="**/*.jar"/>
          </filset
       </classpath>
    </classloader>

With the notable exception of Example #1, care has been taken to
preserve as much of the Ant fileset pattern semantics as possible.  Any
other exceptions that are discovered will be documented along with the
fileset documentation on the Avalon site.

Regards and enjoy,
Timothy

Re: [merlin] New feature available

Posted by Timothy Bennett <ex...@comcast.net>.
Timothy Bennett wrote:
> Merlin users/developers,
>
> I've completed the addition of a new feature in merlin this week that
> provides support for an Ant-like fileset directive for classpath
> specification.
>
> Anyway... I'll be updating the site documentation soon, but in the
> meantime, here are a few examples of how you can use the fileset
> directive for classpath specification.

Merlin site docs have been updated in CVS -- should be replicated out to
  avalon.apache.org soon...

Re: [merlin] New feature available

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Snapshot build including the fileset enhancements is now available:
>
> http://www.dpml.net/merlin/distributions/3.3/snapshots/20040423-BIS/
>
> Cheers, Steve.

Can we take Cocoon devel off this Q/A session?  It seems unrelated.

Re: [merlin] New feature available

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Timothy Bennett <ex...@comcast.net>.
Alex Karasulu wrote:

>>>One question are you reusing any of the ANT code?

Yep.  Basically, I'm reusing Ant's DirectoryScanner class (with credit
in the javadocs) and a few of its helper classes.

A DirectoryScanner instance is created/configured by a new merlin model
implementation called the DefaultFilesetModel.  This model is
responsible for taking a set of Fileset, Include, and Exclude Directive
objects that were created by Merlin's XML config parser layer and
running them through Ant's DirectoryScanner, which returns a set of
included candidate files that will be passed back to Merlin's
classloader model.

I'm looking to expand my unit test class with more *exotic* combinations
of include/exclude directives.  If you've got some examples/use cases,
then please pass them along.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Wonderful!

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
One question are you reusing any of the ANT code?

Alex