Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Darren Duncan <da...@DarrenDuncan.net> on 2000/12/28 07:41:20 UTC

RFC/ANNOUNCE: WebsiteGenerator, FormGenerator, Class-ParamParser

I have uploaded new versions of my 3 distributions to CPAN:

	- Class-ParamParser-1.0.tar.gz       - 1 module
	- CGI-FormGenerator-0.9201.tar.gz    - 7 modules
	- CGI-WebsiteGenerator-0.3201.tar.gz - 9 modules

My authorname is DUNCAND.

I would like to request comments on these modules and/or otherwise
announce their availability.  Among other things, I appreciate
suggestions for what to name the distributions.  If this email lacks
info you need, please check the ReadMes or module POD for more.

They were first released on CPAN in July of 2000 after 2 years of
development.  The newest iterations include mod_perl compatability
and semi-complete POD; should be enough to use the modules
effectively.

Here is the standard DLSI for the 17 modules, grouped by
distribution.  Please note that all of these are working and tested
and in active use now by me (see http://www.DarrenDuncan.net and
http://www.chronology.net).  The modules in "beta" are ones that I
consider complete but aren't tested by other people, and those in
"alpha" or "construction" are fully usable, but updates are planned.

Name                   DSLI   Description
--------------------   ----   --------------------------------------------

Class::ParamParser   - bdpO - complex parameter parsing for subclass methods

HTML::TagMaker       - bdpO - make single,groups of HTML tags, head/footers
HTML::FormMaker      - adpO - predefined persistant forms, reports, validate
HTML::PageMaker      - bdpO - store,assemble web page parts, search+replace
CGI::HashOfArrays    - bdpO - data storage,parsing,url-encoding, subset
CGI::WebUserIO       - cdpO - gather,parse,manage user input data, env vars
CGI::SequentialFile  - bdpO - HoA/hash data storage in encoded k=v text file
CGI::EventCountFile  - bdpO - store date-bounded event counts in file (usage)

CGI::WPM::Globals    - cdpO - store prefs, fs/path contexts, user i/o, utils
CGI::WPM::Base       - cdpO - defines API for subclassed WPM modules
CGI::WPM::MultiPage  - adpO - WPM resolves nav in page hierarchy, makes menu
CGI::WPM::Static     - bdpO - WPM for displaying static html,text pages
CGI::WPM::MailForm   - adpO - WPM impl e-mail submis forms w/ unlimit quest
CGI::WPM::GuestBook  - adpO - WPM impl gb w/ unlimit quest, e-ml to sign/ownr
CGI::WPM::SegTextDoc - bdpO - WPM displays static single/multipart text pages
CGI::WPM::Redirect   - bdpO - WPM for issuing an HTTP redirection header
CGI::WPM::Usage      - bdpO - WPM tracks usage details, e-mails bkup to owner

Here is a full sentence description for each one, which I am hoping
some of you will read and then suggest good one-liner "Descriptions".
I have trouble summarizing too much.

Class::ParamParser - Perl module that provides complex parameter list
parsing for
subclass methods.

HTML::TagMaker - Perl module that can create any HTML tags, as well
as groups of
or just parts of them, and complete html headers or footers.

HTML::FormMaker - Perl module that maintains a predefined html input form
definition with which it can generate form html, complete with persistant and
error-checked user input, as well as formatted reports of the user
input in html
or plain text format.

HTML::PageMaker - Perl module that maintains and assembles the components of a
new HTML 4 page, with CSS, and also provides search and replace capabilities.

CGI::HashOfArrays - Perl module that implements a hash whose keys can have
either single or multiple values, and which can process url-encoded data.

CGI::WebUserIO - Perl module that gathers, parses, and manages user input and
output data, including HTTP headers, query strings, posts, searches,
cookies, and
shell arguments, as well as providing cleaner access to many environment
variables, consistantly under both CGI and mod_perl.

CGI::SequentialFile - Perl module that interfaces to a common text file format
which stores records as named and url-escaped key=value pairs.

CGI::EventCountFile - Perl module that interfaces to a tab-delimited text file
for storing date-bounded counts of occurances for multiple events, such as web
page views.

CGI::WPM::Globals - Perl module that is used by all subclasses of
CGI::WPM::Base
for managing global program settings, file system and web site hierarchy
contexts, providing environment details, gathering and managing user input,
collecting and sending user output, and providing utilities like
sending e-mail.

CGI::WPM::Base - Perl module that defines the API for subclasses, which are
miniature applications called "web page makers", and provides them with a
hierarchical environment that handles details for obtaining program settings,
resolving file system or web site contexts, obtaining user input, and
sending new
web pages to the user.

CGI::WPM::MultiPage - Perl module that is a subclass of CGI::WPM::Base and
resolves navigation for one level in the web site page hierarchy from a parent
node to its children, encapsulates and returns its childrens' returned web page
components, and can make a navigation bar to child pages.

CGI::WPM::Static - Perl module that is a subclass of CGI::WPM::Base
and displays
a static HTML page.

CGI::WPM::MailForm - Perl module that is a subclass of CGI::WPM::Base and
implements an e-mail submission form with unlimited questions.

CGI::WPM::GuestBook - Perl module that is a subclass of CGI::WPM::Base and
implements a complete guest book with unlimited questions that also e-mails
submissions to the website owner.

CGI::WPM::SegTextDoc - Perl module that is a subclass of CGI::WPM::Base and
displays a static text page, which can be in multiple segments.

CGI::WPM::Redirect - Perl module that is a subclass of CGI::WPM::Base
and issues
an HTTP redirection header.

CGI::WPM::Usage - Perl module that is a subclass of CGI::WPM::Base and tracks
site usage details, as well as e-mail backups of usage counts to the
site owner.

Thank you,

// Darren Duncan

Re: RFC/ANNOUNCE: WebsiteGenerator, FormGenerator, Class-ParamParser

Posted by Gunther Birznieks <gu...@extropia.com>.
The modules look very cool.

However

You should be careful as to what modules you've created solve a problem in
a particular way that you enjoy using and which ones are truly
generic.  Some of the following was unclear in your email explanation of
the modules.

I am worried that some of your CGI::* modules have taken a hold of a
generic namespace when they should belong either somewhere else in CPAN or
under CGI::WPM.

eg Why is CGI::SequentialFile under CGI::? Shouldn't a data storage module
you are relying on be under a totally different tree? And also what are you
using CGI::SequentialFile for? It's a bit unclear as to the relationship there.

Of course, I should be one to talk... I've never uploaded anything to CPAN
yet (although I've got an ID now... ). Congrats on taking that step forward. :)