Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dave Henderson <dh...@digital-pipe.com> on 2006/06/27 14:41:05 UTC

[users@httpd] ssl error message

Gang,

       I have been working on this issue over the past few days.  I am trying to
  get SSL working with Apache 2.0 (Debian 3.0).  I have read through
  documentation on how to create Root CA's, ssl certificates and keys,
  etc.  I made a root ca and created a certificate and key for my site.
  I inserted the these lines into the following files (as well as the http.conf file):

   the mods-available/ssl.conf file (also
  tried putting them in my http.conf file):

  (mods-available/ssl.conf)
  SSLProtocol -all +SSLv2

  (virtual host file)
  SSLCertificateFile /location2file/filename.crt
  SSLCertificateKeyFile /location2file/filename.key

  I edited the ports.conf file and added the line "Listen 443", adjusted
  my firewall to forward port 443 traffic to the correct ip, edited the
  sites-available/sitefile to include two NameVirtualHost directives:

  NameVirtualHost 192.168.0.12:80
  NameVirtualHost 192.168.0.13:443

  then I created two <virtualhost> sections, one for port 80 traffic, one
  for port 443 traffic.  Because I am trying to get all files placed in a
  sub dir of the root of the website (/ssl), I appended "/ssl" to the end
  of the documentroot directive for the 443 entry.  If I visit the url in
  http, it displays just fine:

  http://www.foo.com/ssl/protected.html

  if I try to log into the site using https, I get prompted to accept a
  certificate (which isn't the one I created - seems to be the default
  one).  If I do accept I get the following error in the browser:

  501 Not Implemented
   The requested method is not implemented by this server.

  My questions are these:

  1) How do I get the "/ssl" directory to use ssl to protect anything
  stored in that directory?

  2) How do I get apache to use my certificate that I cretaed?

  Thanks for any help given.
  Dave

  Here is some other related information:

  I have tried starting apache with "apache2ctl startssl".
  I have run "apache2ctl configtest" and got a "syntax ok" response.
  Here is a copy of my virtual host definition:

  <VirtualHost 192.168.0.13:443>
          ServerAdmin webmas...@sitename.com

          DocumentRoot /var/www/sitename.com/demo/ssl
          ServerName demo.sitename.com/ssl

  SSLCertificateFile /etc/apache2/ssl/certs/sitename.com.crt
  SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/apache2/ssl/keys/sitename.com.key
                  SSLCipherSuite SSLv2:+HIGH:+MEDIUM
                  SSLVerifyClient require
                  SSLVerifyDepth 1

          #   SSL specifications
  #       <Location /ssl>
  #               SSLCipherSuite SSLv2:+HIGH:+MEDIUM
  #               SSLVerifyClient require
  #               SSLVerifyDepth 1
  #       </Location>

          #   This should be changed to whatever you set DocumentRoot to.
          <Directory /var/www/sitename.com/demo/ssl>
                  Options Indexes Includes
                  AllowOverride Options
                  Order allow,deny
                  Allow from all
                   # This directive allows us to have apache2's default start page
                   # in /apache2-default/, but still have / go to the right place
                  #RedirectMatch ^/$ /apache2-default/
          </Directory>
          ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/sitename.com/demo/error.log
          CustomLog /var/log/apache2/sitename.com/demo/access.log common
          CustomLog /var/log/apache2/sitename.com/demo/referer.log referer
          CustomLog /var/log/apache2/sitename.com/demo/agent.log agent

          # Possible values: debug, info, notice, warn, error, crit, alert, emerg.
          LogLevel warn

          ServerSignature On
  </VirtualHost>