Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by Monish Naware <Mo...@mphasis.com> on 2011/05/26 12:25:17 UTC

log4net for .NET 4.0 / Windows 7

Hi,

	I am working a project that was built on .NET 1.1 / Windows XP
and uses log4net 1.2.10.0. The task is to migrate this to .NET 4.0 /
Windows 7 (64 bit) environment.
	I checked the log4net site (http://logging.apache.org/log4net)
and found that 1.2.10 is the latest version. Do you support for .NET 4.0
/ Windows 7 (64 bit)? When I migrated the code, the log file is not
getting generated! However it works fine under Windows XP.
	Could you please update me ASAP on this?

	Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Monish.

Information transmitted by this e-mail is proprietary to MphasiS, its associated companies and/ or its customers and is intended
for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded
to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this information in any manner is strictly
prohibited. In such cases, please notify us immediately at mailmaster@mphasis.com and delete this mail from your records.

Re: log4net for .NET 4.0 / Windows 7

Posted by Lee Chun Kit <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

It says here at
http://logging.apache.org/log4net/release/framework-support.html that
log4Net supports Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0. It could
be that you need to have .NET 2.0 on your Windows 7 computer.

Regards,
Chun Kit

Posted by Roy Chastain <Ro...@roychastain.org>.
Unless you have installed 64 bit copy of Office (rare), your addin is really running as 32 bit code, because office is 32 bit.

Like the other poster, I have run log4Net on 64 and 32 bit windows 7 systems with the application running .net framework 4.0 with the "released" version of log4Net.  It just works due to .Net Framework magic.  :-)

However, I have seen people complaining about some specific issues with certain loggers such as ODBC and some of the remote logging.  The only logging that I have done is simple text file with RollingLogFile.

Roy Chastain
SOHO Technology Solutions, LLC
(770) 426-4708
http://www.sohotech.biz
If you do not wish to receive future email from SOHO Technology Solutions, please reply to this message with the subject line of Remove Me.

Posted by Radovan Raszka <ra...@hasam.cz>.
Or configure logging programatically - this way you can set any path
RR

Posted by Monish Naware <Mo...@mphasis.com>.
I already looked the at the first link and tried to specify - %appdata%\ClientName\MyAddin and it created a folder '%appdata' under C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 14 :)

The article at apache helped me!

Thanks again for all help.

Regards,
Monish.

Posted by Monish Naware <Mo...@mphasis.com>.
Roy, I agree to you!

Posted by Roy Chastain <Ro...@roychastain.org>.

Posted by "Lansdaal, Michael T" <mi...@boeing.com>.
The log file location can be specified in the <file value=""> element.  You can do path relative like I have done

<file value="..\\Data\\Logs\\debug" />

Or you could specify a hard coded location.  You can also programmatically create the appender/logger and then I think you'd be able to specify the path dynamically.

Thanks, Mike

Posted by Radovan Raszka <ra...@hasam.cz>.

Posted by Monish Naware <Mo...@mphasis.com>.
Thanks, I will try these things.

Monish.

Excel probably runs as you unless you are doing something truly strange.

Things I'd try...
1) writing the log to another location
2) turning on the log4net debugging and see what it coughs up in the
debug output

Posted by Dean Fiala <df...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dean Fiala <df...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dean Fiala <df...@gmail.com>.