Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Nevo <sn...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/30 13:29:17 UTC

suspend/pause cloudstack VM (kvm hypervisor)

Hi all!
  Sorry if my question (see the subject) has been asked before, as it's indeed (http://markmail.org/message/apchw5rsf4xgevt4?q=list:org%2Eapache%2Eincubator%2Ecloudstack-%2A+suspend). But since I saw no further update on that issue, maybe I could check out here first. My box is running cloudstack 4.2.0 on ubuntu 12.04 (desktop). The hypervisor is kvm as you probably know. it would be great to be able to suspend/resume my VMs now and then so I could have my PC take a break sometimes.  Can anyone suggest whether it's possible to support that? It seems we can do it via "virsh": https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM/Managing , but not cloudstack API?

  Thanks!

Nevo

Re: suspend/pause cloudstack VM (kvm hypervisor)

Posted by Nevo <sn...@gmail.com>.
So I was probably wrong or making some confusion here. I could indeed suspend a VM from the command line via "virsh save"  (not virsh suspend) and restore its state. It's just cloudstack default admin UI doesn't have an option to do that.

Check out openstack: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Kvm-Pause-Suspend

Nevo

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

Posted by Nevo <sn...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nux!
   That's why I said real "suspension" might rely on "virtual machine snapshot with memory capturing".  see this discussion: http://markmail.org/message/apchw5rsf4xgevt4?q=list:org%2Eapache%2Eincubator%2Ecloudstack-%2A+suspend

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

Posted by Nevo <sn...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sebgoa!

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.