Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Oliver Schmidt <ol...@arcor.de> on 2011/06/29 19:32:35 UTC

[Community] How do I actually begin to contribute?

Hi,

I know that there's some information on how to contribute on the web
site but how do I actually start contributing? I mean, whom do I ask if
I wanted to write some documentation?

Cheers
Oliver

Re: [Community] How do I actually begin to contribute?

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 6/29/11 10:19 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Hi Oliver,
>
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 7:32 PM, Oliver Schmidt
> <ol...@arcor.de>  wrote:
>> I know that there's some information on how to contribute on the web
>> site but how do I actually start contributing? I mean, whom do I ask if
>> I wanted to write some documentation?
> Are you already subscribed to the dev@directory.apache.org list? That
> is the mailing list for developers so I'd suggest to ask there.
>
> What kind of documentation do you want to write and contribute? For
> the API, the Server, or for Studio? I ask because we use different
> systems. The website and developer documentation is available in
> various confluence wiki spaces [1]. Also the API and the old server
> documentation is in the wiki [1]. The user documentation for Studio is
> written in Docbook and under version control in SVN [2]. For the
> server we also started to move the user documentation to Docbook and
> SVN, but I'm not sure what's the state here. I think it needs to be
> discussed which way to go (wiki or Docbook or something else).
Hi Stefan, Oliver,

I have little to add to what Stefan said here. Feel free to subscribe to
the dev mailing list and post questions.

Otherwise, atm, I think confluence is the way to go. I tried to use
docbook but, pfff, it sucks. I mean, XML this, XML that, it's for
computers, not for human beings. '<' and '>' are just a pain in the eyes...

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [Community] How do I actually begin to contribute?

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Hi Oliver,

<ol...@arcor.de> wrote:
> I know that there's some information on how to contribute on the web
> site but how do I actually start contributing? I mean, whom do I ask if
> I wanted to write some documentation?

Are you already subscribed to the dev@directory.apache.org list? That
is the mailing list for developers so I'd suggest to ask there.

What kind of documentation do you want to write and contribute? For
the API, the Server, or for Studio? I ask because we use different
systems. The website and developer documentation is available in
various confluence wiki spaces [1]. Also the API and the old server
documentation is in the wiki [1]. The user documentation for Studio is
written in Docbook and under version control in SVN [2]. For the
server we also started to move the user documentation to Docbook and
SVN, but I'm not sure what's the state here. I think it needs to be
discussed which way to go (wiki or Docbook or something else).

Kind Regards,
Stefan

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/dashboard.action, search for
"Apache Directory"
[2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/studio/trunk/helps/

PS: I'm just curious, does the 'wue' in your email address mean
'Würzburg'? I ask because I studied in Würzburg and grew up in the
area (Sulzfeld).

Re: [Community] How do I actually begin to contribute?

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Hi Oliver,

sorry for the late response. I think that's a great idea. I'd propose
that you start using the Wiki.

Do you already have a Confluence account [1]? If not please sign up.
Then tell us your account name so we can grant you edit permission.

In the past we had two user guides:
- The Basic User's Guide [2] and
- The Advanced User's Guide [3]
Maybe you could review them and make proposals.

If you just want to practice or write independent articles you can
also use the Sandbox [4].

Kind Regards,
Stefan

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/