Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Nuwan Aramabage <nu...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/26 01:59:53 UTC

ASF newbie

Hi,
I'm a java programmer who do have intermediate knowledge in industry
level software development.
I have joined this mailing list recently however at the moment I'm
blank in which project I should have been involved.
I have ran through the initial documents that explains how to select a
project to contribute.The main point they mentioned is
select a project based on your interest.

as a beginner , I think project complexity and maturity does matter
when choosing a project to be contributed.How can i find
less complex ,less mature ASF project since I'm a beginner ?. I'm
expecting a solid answer form big fishes in the community.

Thanks.

With regards,

Nuwan Arambage.

Re: ASF newbie

Posted by Amila Maha Arachchi <am...@wso2.com>.
Hi Nuwan,

I'm not a big fish. But just wanted to point you out something. Your name at
the bottom of the email and the name in your gmail account are a little
different. I think you got a typo in your gmail account name. I have
highlighted them for you.

Regards,
Amila.

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 6:29 AM, Nuwan *Aramabage* <nuwan.arambage@gmail.com

Re: ASF newbie

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Two options spring to mind; the first is to dig through the Apache
Incubator and look for a project that piques your interest. You can
quite quickly have a strong impact on a project there. "Your interest"
can be fairly vague; it might be that the language is one you want to
learn, it might be that you'd like to learn more about image
specifications or implement a codec. It works best when it's something
you're already using; mine was a PDA IDE that didn't support regexp in
its Find menu option.

The second is to look at existing projects and dip into the occasional
bug or enhancement. Commons is good for this kind of dim sum
contribution and it can be a good way to get used to the general Open
Source style before finding a project you want to dive deeper in to.
Commons Lang (as the example I know best) often has issues in JIRA
where the patch comes from a non-committer (and they weren't the
reporter).

Hen