Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by jlwpc1 <jl...@mail.earthlink.net> on 2001/08/16 20:49:18 UTC

WSH works

From: "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>>

Say what?

What does MSI need?

What does IE use and install?

Welcome to WSH!

What version of IE is now required for Apache?

Really, what "developer" or even user doesn't
have IE installed?

Do not most, if not every Windows developer
and user of Apache Windows already
have Windows Script Host installed (WSH)?

Go to a command line window and type:
cscript.exe //logo
or
wscript.exe //logo

What happens?

WSH general info follows:

The pattern syntax in the Version 5 script engines is the same as that in Perl 5.0. Refer to the V5 scripting engine documentation at http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/default.htm for further detail and http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/languages/clinic/scripting051099.asp
for examples.

End info.

Remember, that Apache will always use "native ways" if available!

No download needed!

Try it,
JLW

Re: Win32 Survey [Was: WSH works]

Posted by jlwpc1 <jl...@mail.earthlink.net>.
From: "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>

> Ok, there is the challenge, Win32 users;
>
> > Go to a command line window and type:
> > cscript.exe //logo
> > or
> > wscript.exe //logo
>
> (drop the "file:" part if it pops up, again)
>
> > What happens?
>
> Any Win32 user, feel free to confirm (give the version while you are at it.)

Cscript.exe says:
Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1996-2001. All rights reserved.

Input Error: There is no script file specified.

and

Wscript.exe:

Displays a nice error window with a
big red circle with a X in it and says
There in no script file specified.

WSH works great!

> Of course, it would be a problem to use JScript, since MS is depreciating
> the default distribution of that scripting engine in XP.

Say what?

ECMA JScript is not Java!

Windows .NET uses JScript in a big way
via JScript .NET  (hint - learn it) !

WSH also uses XML.
 Windows .NET uses XML in a
big way!
(hint - learn it! )

So WSH lets you "do" Apache
while learning XML, JScript, VBScript
and COM usage
(hint:  - all used in Windows .NET.)
A win win or all!

> Although Perl works
> very nicely,

If you remember,
is it a backslash or forward slash,
for each and every function/extension?  :)

>to use it  it's not installed by default.  Which leaves ... VB.  At least
> the had the common sense to add the Option Explicit pragma, so that it works
> rather like a real language.

That is VBScript (not VB) and it works great in WSH.

(hint - remember there is more VB code around
than any other code out there,
and a lot can be easily used in VBScript.)

> Bill

Haven't you ever tried any Windows
Script Host actions?  Lots can
be used with Apache admins and in
development too!

Try it!

JLW

Win32 Survey [Was: WSH works]

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
> Really, what "developer" or even user doesn't
> have IE installed?

> Do not most, if not every Windows developer
> and user of Apache Windows already
> have Windows Script Host installed (WSH)?

Ok, there is the challenge, Win32 users;

> Go to a command line window and type:
> cscript.exe //logo
> or
> wscript.exe //logo

(drop the "file:" part if it pops up, again)

> What happens?

Any Win32 user, feel free to confirm (give the version while you are at it.)

Of course, it would be a problem to use JScript, since MS is depreciating
the default distribution of that scripting engine in XP.  Although Perl works
very nicely, it's not installed by default.  Which leaves ... VB.  At least