Posted to user@struts.apache.org by struts lover <st...@yahoo.com> on 2004/10/05 16:12:53 UTC

multiple submit buttons on a form

Hello Everyone,
I have this problem. I have several submit buttons on
a  form and I am using a modified version of
LookupDispatchAction class.

Is there any way for the buttons to have  the same
name instead of having separate names as required by
LookupDispatchAction. I also want internationalization
to  be taken care of.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: multiple submit buttons on a form

Posted by struts lover <st...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Michael very much. I will go through it. If I
dont understand anything, will come back :).
Thanks again.

http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsCatalogVariousButtonSolutions

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
Rick Reumann wrote:

> Michael McGrady wrote the following on 10/5/2004 1:40 PM:
>
>> He cannot use a basic DispatchAction, Rick, since he wants to use
>> multiple buttons.  He needs multiple buttons with the same value.
>> Since the value of the name parameter in the HTML is completely
>> decoupled from all of my solutions, he is free to do that with all
>> the solutions.
>

> Well, you shouldn't say "Can't" since I do it all the time with
> javascript. A simple onClick="yourForm.dispatch.value='whatever'" does
> the trick for me on any of my buttons. (Granted yours is nice and
> clean since it avoids the need for the hidden dispatch param and
> javascript.)

Rick,

/mea culpa, mea maxima culpa/.  I knew that too.  Sorry!  I am going to
put that solution up on my page too within the next few days.  I too
often forget about the JavaScript thing when I am thinking about
solutions.  My first engineering job involved never talking about
JavaScript.  It was DEATH!  LOL

Michael McGrady

Re: multiple submit buttons on a form

Posted by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net>.

--
Rick

Re: multiple submit buttons on a form

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
Rick Reumann wrote:

> struts lover wrote the following on 10/5/2004 10:12 AM:
>
>> I have this problem. I have several submit buttons on
>> a  form and I am using a modified version of
>> LookupDispatchAction class.
>> Is there any way for the buttons to have  the same
>> name instead of having separate names as required by
>> LookupDispatchAction. I also want internationalization
>> to  be taken care of.
>

> Answer: Don't use the LookupDispatchAction:) Much more trouble than
> it's worth. Use one of Michael's solutions (which are great for
> multiple button forms) or simply use a basic DispatchAction.

He cannot use a basic DispatchAction, Rick, since he wants to use
multiple buttons.  He needs multiple buttons with the same value.  Since
the value of the name parameter in the HTML is completely decoupled from
all of my solutions, he is free to do that with all the solutions.

Michael

Re: multiple submit buttons on a form

Posted by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net>.

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
struts lover wrote:

>Hello Everyone,
>I have this problem. I have several submit buttons on
>a  form and I am using a modified version of
>LookupDispatchAction class.
>
>Is there any way for the buttons to have  the same
>name instead of having separate names as required by
>LookupDispatchAction. I also want internationalization
>to  be taken care of.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks.

I assume, Struts Lover, you see that you just use the lovely Struts
<bean:message key='SUBMIT'/> for the values in order to Internationalize
the solution with the solutions I sent you to.  Michael McGrady