Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Thomas Gideon <th...@gideonfamily.org> on 2002/03/28 21:07:37 UTC

Connecting Apache 1.3.23 and Tomcat 4.0.3 via WARP

I grabbed the binary for mod_webapp from the Tomcat 4.0 download
directories, for Linux 2.2 but cannot get it to work.  I am running Debian
Woody, with the testing package for Apache 1.3.23.  I have been running
this version of Apache successfull with Tomcat 3.x via mod_jk for some
time, using the Debian testing packages for Tomcat and mod_jk.

I have decided to step up to Tomcat 4.0, mostly to start working the the
Standard Taglib.  I have Tomcat 4.0 installed and have no problem working
with the HTTP 1.1 connector, I have done so for the past few days will
worknig to migrate my existing JSPs over to 4.0.

I tried to set up mod_webapp exactly as the directions indicate and appear
to do so successfully.  apachectl configtest only complains about not being
compiled with the -DEAPI option and apache starts without any errors
showing in the logs.  When I request a JSP, though, I get a series of
segfaults in the apache error.log, nothing shows in *any* of the Tomcat
logs except for the usual startup messages, i.e. it looks like the request
dies before even reaching Tomcat.

I tried compiling mod_webapp from source, but I get an error late in the
make output about an invalid operator string.  I am not comfy enough with
make or C to troubleshoot this one my own.  If needed, I can post whatever
logs anyone thinks applicable as well as output from my attempts to build
mod_webapp from source, if the pre-existing binary just plumb won't exist.
I have not tried to get and compile the CVS code for mod_webapp yet.

I'd really like to be able to use Apache with Tomcat, as I have in the
past, as I have a lot of static content, in the form of XML and XSL files,
I'd prefer to server via Apache, and let Tomcat just deal with my Java
code.

TIA,

Thomas

--

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world." -- Saint Arnold of
Metz, The Patron Saint of Brewers

mailto:thomas@gideonfamily.org
http://www.gideonfamily.org/tom/
jabber:Highlander@jabber.org