Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Mark Cohen <ma...@earthlink.net> on 2003/08/13 00:56:31 UTC

Jelly: Need Help Installing

I am a college professor with plans on covering Jelly in my "structure of programming" course this fall.  I have spent the entire day trying to install Jelly without success.  Following the directions, I installed Maven and fetched the most recent version of Jelly from CVS.  Next, I ran "maven test", and after a few of the jar files downloaded into the repository I got a NullPointerException.  I tried several things after this (I will not go into the details) and I still have not be able to get a working copy of Jelly.

Can anyone help me get Jelly installed?  Also, what is the bare minimum that can be installed in order to just use Jelly's core functionality?  I would like to make it as simple as possible for my students to install and start using Jelly.

Thanks in advance,
Mark Cohen
Instructor - Computer Science Department
Lock Haven University

Re: Jelly: Need Help Installing

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
Jelly is in a not so glorious state in terms of distribution currently...
What I would suggest for your purpose is to follow the dependencies in
project.xml manually: using http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/ you get all
the jars (presumably in one place) and then even get a not too late jelly.

You can also avoid running the tests. It's kind of unsafe but... it
could get you working also:

maven -Dmaven.test.skip=true jar

Paul

Posted by Mark Cohen <ma...@earthlink.net>.
Thanks, I got it to compile!  I think the key was to comment out the <extend> element.  I was getting an error because this element was pointing to ../project.xml but that file is in the current directory not the parent.  I had changed this element to point to ./project.xml to get it to run, but I suspect this was the cause of my problems.  When I commented out the <extend> element and used the skip.tests variable you suggested, the compile completed.

Now the question is how do I get a simple Jelly script to run?  I tried running a script by putting the required jars in my class path and running org.apache.commons.jelly.Jelly but I get the following error:

java.lang.LinkageError: loader constraints violated when linking org/xml/sax/XMLReader class

Any idea what is the correct way to run a simple Hello World script?  Also, what is the minimal set of JAR files required to use the jelly-core?  Would they be all the JARs in the jelly/target/lib folder?  That seems like overkill for a minimal Jelly script?

Thanks,
Mark

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
Mark,

Posted by Mark Cohen <ma...@earthlink.net>.
I think I will give up on Jelly for this course and use SVG and XSLT for my XML-based languages.  I will look at Jelly again next Fall.
Thanks a lot for your help, it was much appreciated.
Mark

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.

Posted by Mark Cohen <ma...@earthlink.net>.
I am using Maven 1.0 Beta 10.  I think I found my problem.  As suggested, by commenting out the <extend> element in the jelly project.xml file it seemed to compile OK.  However, I suspect there are other problems because I cannot get any of the demo scripts to run (i.e. demo:swing).  Maven cannot find the demo goal, it does not appear to be in the project.xml file.

-Mark

  > I am a college professor with plans on covering Jelly in my
  > "structure of programming" course this fall.  I have spent the
  > entire day trying to install Jelly without success.  Following the
  > directions, I installed Maven and fetched the most recent version of
  > Jelly from CVS.  Next, I ran "maven test", and after a few of the
  > jar files downloaded into the repository I got a
  > NullPointerException.  I tried several things after this (I will not
  > go into the details) and I still have not be able to get a working
  > copy of Jelly.
  >
  > Can anyone help me get Jelly installed?  Also, what is the bare
  > minimum that can be installed in order to just use Jelly's core
  > functionality?  I would like to make it as simple as possible for my
  > students to install and start using Jelly.
  >
  > Thanks in advance,
  > Mark Cohen
  > Instructor - Computer Science Department
  > Lock Haven University

Re: Jelly: Need Help Installing

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Which version of maven did u install?