Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Peter Neumark <ne...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/06 09:51:27 UTC

JavaScript: in-browser RPC server

Hi all!

I plan on extending the current javascript thrift libs to allow RPC calls to
be served from the browser.
Through websockets (or socket.io), it is now quite feasible for the
webserver to be the RPC client, and
the browser to be the server. Collaborative web applications like group
chat, simultaneous editing of docs
and games are a few of the applications that could use this.

Has anyone done anything similar already? Is anyone else interested on
working on this?
I know the nodejs code generator already creates RPC call processing code,
but that has to be
modified slightly to work in the browser. Same goes for the node.js thrift
libs (almost browser-compatible,
but not quite).

Please let me know who's interested so we're not working in isolation!

Peter