Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/23 17:22:45 UTC

IBM and WS-Security

Jeff,

Let's start fresh. Is IBM willing to allow Apache to write a
WS-Security Implementation?

We already have code, and have participated in interops, but have not
made a release yet (http://ws.apache.org/ws-fx/wss4j/). Current terms
published by IBM (http://www.ibm.com/ibm/licensing/977Q/2112.shtml)
are incompatible with Apache License/Process. I have detailed feedback
almost clause-by-clause for the IBM License (and the Microsoft
License), but that defeats the purpose...It's better for us to specify
what we'd like to see in a modified license from IBM (and Microsoft).
BenL and me were discussing this morning on what to request IBM and
MSFT w.r.t WS-Security license. Here is the list:

1. Users should be able to download our code and run it without further
action on their part (obviously they should be aware of the licence and
comply with it, but should not need to do anything beyond the normal
requirements of the Apache Licence 2.0).

2. The licence should not require implementations to be compliant (as we
agreed, this is an incomprehensible requirement anyway).

3. There should be no restrictions beyond those imposed by Apache
Licence 2.0.

4. Another instance of conflict with AL 2.0 is the requirement for
compliance with U.S. Export laws - this needs to go.

5. Note that the Apache Licence
(http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html) has a clause relating
to patents which may well work in the way you want already - clause 3.

Thanks,
Davanum Srinivas
Vice President, Web services, Apache.

Thanks,
dims

Re: IBM and WS-Security

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Elementary![1]. Thanks.

-- dims

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_Holmes

Re: IBM and WS-Security

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Jeffrey Thompson wrote:
> I think that the one year limit derives from the time limit in the U.S.
> for filing patent applications.  In the U.S., you can file a patent
> application for an invention up to one year after the patented invention
> was first published, incorporated into an on-sale product, etc.  That's
> the reason why there's always a search for prior art when someone tries
> to assert a patent claim.  If you can find a publication that describes
> the supposed invention or on-sale item which implements the invention
> that existed more than one year prior to the filing date, the filing was
> invalid, and therefore so is the patent.  It doesn't matter whether the
> patent holder actually invented the invention, whether someone learned
> it and then published it, or what.  If its past 1 year, the patent is
> dead.  (I'm sure that there are exceptions, but that's the general rule.)

You mean its killable, rather than dead. I'm told that even with prior
art its a tedious and expensive process.

Re: IBM and WS-Security

Posted by Jeffrey Thompson <jt...@us.ibm.com>.
Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> wrote on 06/24/2005 03:13:52 PM:

> Jeff,
>
> Thanks. Now i understand the concept of offering license w/o
> identifying patent claims...BUT i see that the IBM license has a 1
> year limit (see section 6.1) and MSFT has no limits as long as the
> patent is applicable to this thing that we are implementing. Is'nt it
> better to remove the 1 year limit? (or am i reading this wrong)

That one year limit isn't a problem, it's IBM's patent lawyers being . . .
ah . . . patent lawyers.  (No insult to patent lawyers intended.
Honestly.)

I think that the one year limit derives from the time limit in the U.S.
for filing patent applications.  In the U.S., you can file a patent
application for an invention up to one year after the patented invention
was first published, incorporated into an on-sale product, etc.  That's
the reason why there's always a search for prior art when someone tries to
assert a patent claim.  If you can find a publication that describes the
supposed invention or on-sale item which implements the invention that
existed more than one year prior to the filing date, the filing was
invalid, and therefore so is the patent.  It doesn't matter whether the
patent holder actually invented the invention, whether someone learned it
and then published it, or what.  If its past 1 year, the patent is dead.
(I'm sure that there are exceptions, but that's the general rule.)

In the case of this license, it only applies to patents that were filed no
later than a year and a day after WS-Security was published.  The
reasoning is that any patents that were filed after that date don't need
to be licensed because they are invalid (as WS-Security's publication
would have predated it by more than a year).  Since there have been court
cases which have held that it is patent abuse to try to license a group of
patents, some of which are obviously invalid, it makes sense to exclude
those.  I'm not saying that all patent licenses need to include that
language, but the language makes sense.

Before anyone asks the obvious question, no, IBM is not in the habit of
filing for obviously invalid patents.  But since IBM does a large number
of patent filings each year, there is the possibility that someone misses
something and we file one late.  In that case, I would hope the examiner
would catch it, but we all know how overworked they are.

In the end, the one year limitation isn't a problem.  All valid patents
that are necessary for WS-Security would have been filed long before that
one year period had expired.

> - dims

<snip>

Re: IBM and WS-Security

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Jeff,

Re: IBM and WS-Security

Posted by Jeffrey Thompson <jt...@us.ibm.com>.

Re: IBM and WS-Security

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Re: IBM and WS-Security

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Re: IBM and WS-Security

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
William,

See the actual terms from MSFT and IBM (similar to Sender-ID)
http://www.ibm.com/ibm/licensing/977Q/2112.shtml
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/ip/standards/

-- dims

Re: IBM and WS-Security

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Re: IBM and WS-Security

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
William,

In this specific case, Microsoft has not divulged which patent(s) if
any are infringed upon. In the case of IBM and Verisign, from their
legal counsel we know that there are no patents involved on their
side. For microsoft's initial response to my question on specific
patents, see (http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wss/200506/msg00123.html).
I think i finally managed to get through to a key decision maker there
- Andrew Layman. Hopefully, we will hear something one way or another.

Also note that this affects the existing Apache WSS4J project and not
just the TSIK incubation.

If there is FUD in IPR statements to the OASIS TC with no specific
patent # and general statements and an offered license. Can we claim
ignorance? (How about after doing a patent search on the USPTO site?)

Cliff,

one more item on your plate. Need to drive the Reviews for other
Apache projects:
http://wiki.apache.org/general/ReviewsNeeded/

Re: IBM and WS-Security

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Re: IBM and WS-Security

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Jeff,

Please see below.

On 6/23/05, Jeffrey Thompson <jt...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

>  Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> wrote on 06/23/2005 11:22:45 AM:
>
>  > Jeff,
>  >
>  > Let's start fresh. Is IBM willing to allow Apache to write a
>  > WS-Security Implementation?
>
> Certainly.  That was why we contributed it to OASIS and why we made an RF
> patent commitment.  As am aside, I'm not aware that we've identified any
> necessary patents for WS-Security.

This is what i expected, Since i could not find anything.

>  > We already have code, and have participated in interops, but have not
>  > made a release yet (http://ws.apache.org/ws-fx/wss4j/).
> Current terms
>  > published by IBM
> (http://www.ibm.com/ibm/licensing/977Q/2112.shtml)
>  > are incompatible with Apache License/Process.
>
> I think we have a basic disagreement here.  IBM's patent terms are not
> incompatible with Apache's license or Apache's open source model.

Great!!!

> >                                                I have detailed feedback
>  > almost clause-by-clause for the IBM License (and the Microsoft
>  > License), but that defeats the purpose...It's better for us to specify
>  > what we'd like to see in a modified license from IBM (and Microsoft).
>
> Actually, I haven't seen that (I'm not always able to read all of the list
> postings).  No need to bore everyone else with repetition, but if you want
> to send it to me off list, I'd appreciate it.

Please see my other email.

> > BenL and me were discussing this morning on what to request IBM and
>  > MSFT w.r.t WS-Security license. Here is the list:
>  >
>  > 1. Users should be able to download our code and run it without further
>  > action on their part (obviously they should be aware of the licence and
>  > comply with it, but should not need to do anything beyond the normal
>  > requirements of the Apache Licence 2.0).
>
> Obviously.  At that's what happens under the current licenses.  Under the
> doctrine of patent exhaustion, if a maker of a product (here, Apache) is
> licensed to practice a patent when it makes the product, users of that
> product are also covered.

ok. we are on the same page.

>  > 2. The licence should not require implementations to be compliant (as we
>  > agreed, this is an incomprehensible requirement anyway).
>
> I'm not sure why you are singling out WS-Security on this point.  Every Java
> specification license includes compliance requirements and I expect that all
> of the patent licenses pursuant to the W3C Patent Policy are limited to
> "implementations of the recommendation".  Is your point that it is not clear
> what "compliant" means in the absence of a test suite, or that the concept
> of compliance is itself incomprehensible.  If its the former, take the
> normal meaning -- that the implementation actually implements the spec
> correctly.  If its the latter, I'm not sure how to respond.

Yes, "absence of a test suite" is the problem. We can't test compliance.

>  > 3. There should be no restrictions beyond those imposed by Apache
>  > Licence 2.0.
>
> Again, why are we singling out WS-Security.  The Java spec licenses include
> additional restrictions as do pretty much all existing patent licenses for
> standards (W3C or otherwise).  The question is whether the additional
> restrictions impose an inappropriate burden on Apache or its licensees.
> There was a germ of a discussion a few months ago (February 05) on this list
> about what Standards are compatible with Apache's approach to life.  At that
> time, I wrote in response to a post by Larry Rosen:
>
> --In any event, Apache guidelines would address, in my mind, at least three
> basic questions:
> --
> --1.  Can Apache get the standard?  If we can't get it, we can't implement
> it.
> --
> --2.  Can Apache publish its implementation under Apache's license?  This is
> --the most critical.  Any standards agreement that prevents open source
> --implementations shouldn't be embraced by Apache.
> --
> --3.  Is Apache opening itself or its customers to royalties for necessary
> --patents?  This is the hardest to answer.  Your definition of open
> standards
> --spent a lot of time talking about the details of the patent licenses, but
> in
> --the end, the question is whether the open source project and its customers
> --qualify for the free license.
>
> The third item is the most relevant to the current conversation.  I think
> that this list is still accurate, and as far as I can tell WS-Security meets
> those requirements.

Please see the other email. For example, Section 1.3 talks about
sublicensing as applied to subsidiaries ONLY. which is irrelevant to
ASF's model or open source in general.

>  > 4. Another instance of conflict with AL 2.0 is the requirement for
>  > compliance with U.S. Export laws - this needs to go.
>
> I don't see an Export law term in the IBM license.

My bad! this line was for MSFT license.

>  > 5. Note that the Apache Licence
>  > (http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html) has a
> clause relating
>  > to patents which may well work in the way you want already - clause 3.
>
> The patent grant in the AL2 performs a completely different function than a
> patent grant that applies to implementations of a Spec and necessarily
> focuses on different issues.  When a company contributes CODE to Apache,
> knowing that the code will be licensed liberally to the world, it is
> important to know that that company isn't going to go around and sue the
> licensees of that code for patent infringement just for using that code.
> There are few restrictions on that patent license, but it is tied to the
> code.
>
> For specification related patent licenses, there is no code, or at least not
> yet.  The license is necessarily focused on implementations of the Spec.
> Anyone who writes code that implements that Spec is covered, unlike the
> license in AL2 which only covers licensees of the Apache code.  So, in some
> ways, the AL2 license is too broad (it covers the code, whatever it is used
> for), and in others, its too narrow (it doesn't cover non-Apache licensed
> code).

Ok. understood.

> I think that this is an important issue for Apache, because it seems to me
> that if Apache applies the rules that it seems you are applying here, most
> (if not all) of the current projects will have problems.  In some sense,
> patent licenses that are tied to specifications are orthogonal to the AL2
> license.  I don't think you can force them to be parallel, and if you filter
> out all licenses which are not, you will likely end up with a null set of
> specifications to implement.
>
> FYI, I'll be non-connected for most of tomorrow, but will try to respond to
> any comments when I get e-mail access.

I guess, i am being cautious, the IPR statements on the OASIS web site
says, we have to get licenses from IBM/Versign/MSFT and thats what we
are trying to do...I don't know how else to tackle this.

Let me take a more concrete example, one that has bitten us before.
RSA Security has a patent on SAML and they have made public noise
about it. They are forcing OpenSAML project to put up a disclaimer
that says:

"Note that RSA has published their patent licensing terms for SAML
toolkits, and developers using OpenSAML may be subject to the terms
and may evaluate the license at
http://www.rsasecurity.com/solutions/standards/saml/."

I was told that Apache will *NEVER* allow such a disclaimer/verbiage
on *ANY* project and the incubation was cancelled. See
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=incubator-general&w=2&r=1&s=opensaml
for all the gory details.

I myself don't know why web services projects are getting this special
attention.

Thanks
dims

Re: IBM and WS-Security