Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/17 21:21:16 UTC

Google Application Engine whitelist info

Hi folks,

      So I prodded a bit, looking for a "no sooner than" number for
whitelisting javax.xml.stream.*, and I think I understand better
what's going on.   The two pieces of info I have to share, however,
are as follows.

       1)  that the team feels confident that they will "eventually"
support javax.xml.stream.*, but that there's a lot of work to getting
it audited and clean for the whitelist, and there are several higher-
priority items to take care of.

       2) While they are NOT offering completion timelines, Toby
Reyelts did give me an opinion about a minimum.  He doesn't believe
they will get to this work before at least six weeks or so from now,
and they haven't done a level of effort estimate on that work.

      Given this, and given that I don't know the LOE for adding T5.1
template features to the T5.0 parser (or another one), nor the LOE for
ripping out javax.xml.stream* and re-tooling the stax implementation
with alternate classes, it's unclear to me what's faster (or more
important).   My own personal opinion would be to double their floor
to 12 weeks for this mental exercise and decide if it's worth waiting
or switching out the parser.  Again - disclaimer - the appengine java
team has NOT committed to any timeline for delivery on this, period.
This is my sewing together opinions without commitment, and the
AppEngine-Java guys were cool enough to let this opinion into the wild
for the sake of the Tapestry contributors' decision making.  So no
nasty quoting me 13 weeks from now if javax.xml.stream.* isn't
whitelisted. ;)

cheers,
Christian.
Christian Edward Gruber