Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de> on 2013/12/21 16:41:48 UTC

[ALL] Votes and staging repositories

Hi all,

a side note to the ongoing vote for [codec]:

The vote mail points to the staging repository containing all maven
artifacts including the distributions. When the release is done, the
repository has to be cleaned to remove the files which should not go to
Maven central. This is a manual and error-prone process.

So may I suggest the following change in our release process: Before
calling a vote, the staging repository should already be in a state that
it only contains the files to be released to Maven central. The
distributions should be added to the dist repository, and the vote mail
should point to them separately.

Then people checking the release can verify the staging repository, too,
and the likelihood that something goes wrong when cutting the release is
reduced.

Oliver

Re: [ALL] Votes and staging repositories

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 11:37 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21 December 2013 16:25, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 11:09 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> So far...
> >>
> >> I did do some work on trying to automate it, but I found the Nexus API
> >> very hard to understand.
> >>
> >> It's easy enough to download the non-Maven files using http(s) and
> >> commit them (svnmucc) to dist/dev or a personl login on people,
> >> but deleting files from Nexus seems to be quite tricky. Of course that
> >> is where errors are most critical.
> >>

> > (Trying not to rant ;)
> > I would prefer to click Release in Nexus with the staging repo as it is,
> > including the -bin and -src files.
> >
> > I have, _several times_, deleted the wrong .asc, .md5 or .something file
> > such that Nexus would not release, this is a !@#$ nightmare. Especially
> > since you have to manually use the Nexus Web UI to delete
>
> Yes, it does need a lot of care when tidying up Nexus; the UI is not
> well designed (e.g. the name of the object you are deleting is not
> shown in the dialog)
>
> However, it should be tidied before closing the staging area, in which
> case it's easy to start again.
>
> > Releasing the pile, would let me download 'buildable' artifacts. I wish
> > JMeter and ActiveMQ did that for example, this way I could install from
> > Maven directly and not have to feed my work Artifact repo with the -bin
> > zips.
>
> As I've already written, JMeter release all its jars to Maven already.
> If ActiveMQ does not release all the required jars, then raise an
> enhancement issue with them.

It's not the jars I am talking about, it's the -bin.zip files (for JMeter
and ActiveMQ) which I need to be downloaded and unzipped during a build for
integration testing.

Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [ALL] Votes and staging repositories

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 21 December 2013 15:41, Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> a side note to the ongoing vote for [codec]:
>
> The vote mail points to the staging repository containing all maven
> artifacts including the distributions. When the release is done, the
> repository has to be cleaned to remove the files which should not go to
> Maven central. This is a manual and error-prone process.

So far...

I did do some work on trying to automate it, but I found the Nexus API
very hard to understand.

It's easy enough to download the non-Maven files using http(s) and
commit them (svnmucc) to dist/dev or a personl login on people,
but deleting files from Nexus seems to be quite tricky. Of course that
is where errors are most critical.

Having said that, the Maven project does not bother with deleting the
non-Maven files.
I've not been able to establish whether Maven Central has any limits
on what files can be uploaded.
I assume that the ASF does not care if additional copies of files are
available from Maven Central so long as the primary distribution of
source is from the ASF mirrors, but I have not been able to get a
ruling on this.

If anyone else would like to pursue those questions, please do so!

> So may I suggest the following change in our release process: Before
> calling a vote, the staging repository should already be in a state that
> it only contains the files to be released to Maven central. The
> distributions should be added to the dist repository, and the vote mail
> should point to them separately.

Just double-checking:

That needs to be the dist/dev repostory - i.e. the staging area - not
dist/release which is synced with the live dist area.

> Then people checking the release can verify the staging repository, too,
> and the likelihood that something goes wrong when cutting the release is

s/cutting/deploying/ ?

> reduced.

+1

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.