Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by kamaraju kusumanchi <ra...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/22 21:21:35 UTC

check for gfortran before checking for g77

While configuring apr-1.3.3, I realized that the configure script
checks for g77 and not for gfortran. The development of g77 has
stopped and is now replaced by gfortran. gfortran works well on both
Fortran 90, Fortran 77 programs. Would it be possible to add a check
for gfortran before checking for g77?

thanks
raju

Re: check for gfortran before checking for g77

Posted by Tollef Fog Heen <tf...@linpro.no>.
]] "Garrett Rooney"

| Probably not.  Like I said, pretty much all of that stuff is
| boilerplate checks that autoconf throws in when you use their default
| "get me a C compiler" macro.

s/autoconf/libtool/

--
Tollef Fog Heen

Re: check for gfortran before checking for g77

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 3:39 PM, kamaraju kusumanchi
<ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Garrett Rooney
> <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 3:21 PM, kamaraju kusumanchi
>> <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> While configuring apr-1.3.3, I realized that the configure script
>>> checks for g77 and not for gfortran. The development of g77 has
>>> stopped and is now replaced by gfortran. gfortran works well on both
>>> Fortran 90, Fortran 77 programs. Would it be possible to add a check
>>> for gfortran before checking for g77?
>>
>> Do we actually use gfotran, g77, or any other fortran compiler in any
>> way?  I expect that check is just boilerplate autoconf stuff that we
>> never actually use.
>>

> It also checks for g++. A cursory glance through the code tells me
> that there are no .cpp, .cc programs. Is checking for g++ necessary?

Probably not.  Like I said, pretty much all of that stuff is
boilerplate checks that autoconf throws in when you use their default
"get me a C compiler" macro.

-garrett

Re: check for gfortran before checking for g77

Posted by kamaraju kusumanchi <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.